•  
Advertise here

Honda Accord overheating sometimes

harryd

Recently I spotted in some occasion my honda accord is slightly overheating when stuck in long stop and go traffic and then come to normal when on empty road. Checked the coolant level and all looks good and normal. Any more headsup to what to look next?

@harryd as desertdude pointed out start from the least expensive way to fix your problem and than work yourself way up. First thing take it to any radiator shop and ask them to remove the radiator and clean it up from the inside. They will take it apart and put a steel wire through each and every hole to make sure whatever sand that has gone through and become stone inside the radiator is removed, rinse it completely and fix it back. I would recommend you to buy and take your own radiator coolant as I do not trust them with the coloured water they put into the radiators. They would also be able to check it for you is the fan speed is good or if it is getting weaker. This should solve your problem.

There are many radiator shops after the University Signal in the Sharjah Industrial area, plus lot of shops that can sell you the original Honda Coolant which is not going to cost you much more than the coloured water these guys use. You will need your Mulkiya to get Coolant also if you go for the original Honda Coolant.

Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1

Also in some rare occasions the radiator big fan viscose clutch fails. Which is easy to catch, if while your heat gauge needle moves up, do you hear big gushing fan noise from engine bay or not as that's the function of that viscose clutch to run on two speed. one speed (half of engine rpm) when car is in normal temperature. Second speed (same as engine rpm) when car starts to overheat.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, harryd said:

Thanks guys A LOT, got my super dirty radiator clened and things improved much better. Any idea how often you need to do this like every year or two or linked in kms.

The answer to this lies with you my friend, I am into desert driving which gets really dusty and I do it once a year before summers kick in or when I feel that the heat gauge is going northbound. How long have you owned the car and what kind of conditions do you drive it in, I guess the interval at which you need to change your coolant is about 60K kms, so every time you reach the interval and you need to change the coolant, just get it thoroughly cleaned up before the change.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...