•  
Advertise here

I'm 33, I've owned probably over 100 cars, I can't count them all, and I've never bought a new car. Never will either. Hundreds of reasons. One of the biggest reasons is that as soon as it drives out of the showroom the value drops and if you don't like it and want to flip it and get something else, a huge chunk of your cash is gone. Another is that when you're buying second hand you can get a lot of bang for your buck. 300 bhp, rwd and limited slip differential for under 10k. How much would it cost to buy a new car you can have that much fun in? I could probably buy 5 fun cars for the price of a new tiida. Another reason is that if you put a ding in a second hand car it doesn't matter. If you put a ding in a new car you'll probably cry. 

I might add more reasons later. 

I've never bought a new car too and just like Barry don't plan on buying one either, and luckily for me all the cars I like have horrible resale value and I get them for a bargain. I think the only cars if I could afford them and I would buy new would be high end luxury vehicles like a Rolls or exotic or super cars like Lambos or Ferraris. And get rid of them as soon as the warranty runs out. Although I despise super and now hyper cars with a passion.

Pre-owned cars are very good thing as explained above you save tons on depreciation. Only con is you need to learn how to avoid buying a lemon or reversed odometer cars, which is quite common in Dubai. As per my personal experience most of the car dealers here directly or indirectly indulge in such reversing kms activity to get extra value of their car. I spotted more than 5 times in al awir with different cars, some were so stupid to not to remove oil change sticker from driver door sill that reads 200K+ and odometer reads 86k. lol.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

That is true, some cars you can't reverse the odos because the Kms is stored in more than one ECU, technically you can reverse it but i'll cost you more to do that then the car is worth. For example : Range Rovers, even the older ones the KMS is stored in 3 ECUS and they all have to match, thats why you'll rarely seen one with low kms for sale, this really does make one wonder all these 10-15 year  old cars with under 100k kms come from!!! 
Some cars its so easy you can reverse the mileage you can practically do it from your Andriod phone. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsO0ddMl2g

I have once owned a brand new Toyota Echo, top of the range, I purchased it for AED 34K and after driving it for 110K Kms in 7 years sold it for 15K, I don't think I lost much. However most of my cars have also been second hand as it takes of the depreciation and can easily cost you a lot cheaper than buying new. However as Gaurav pointed out, be very careful to do a thorough check and if you do not understand ask the owner to take it to a garage of your choice to get it checked. If the owner refuses than he has something to hide, and better not to buy. Better to be safe than sorry. Always jot down at least like typed cars within a similar price range and try to test drive each one to have a feel, sometimes what looks like a good deal can be just the opposite as soon as you sit in the drivers seat. If there is a deal which is too good to be true, than it is probably not true, so be aware of such frauds who advertise a car really cheap and than tell you a story and try for you to send them a down-payment in advance to come back to Dubai to finalize the deal. if you have not seen the car and the person who wants to sell it than that car does not exist.

• Like (+1) 1