•  
Advertise here

should I buy it!!!

Hi All,

My First Post so be gentle! I have just arrived in the Sunny UAE! (3 months) I have now started looking at cars...I have came across a very clean 2008 987 with 135K on the clock, having looked through the history is complete main dealer then ARM and JZM with big bundle of receipts for work carried out.  The Question is what are they like to live with as  a daily driver.. commute is only 20-30Km. i haven't experienced the Summer yet so any advice would be welcome...

Thanks I Advance

G.

Hoops fan?

My mates mum had a 987 back at home and didn't have a lot of trouble with it other than a relay for the roof. Even overheated it and ran the engine out of oil and it was still ok. 

You should google IMS bearing failure. I've seen a few people chatting about it on Porsche forums but I have to admit I'm not too clued up on it. 

With 135k km in 7 year means it has been putting roughly 20k every year, similar to your driving. So if I am in your place I will dig deeper in that bunch of receipts and figure out of how expensive will the maintenance be at almost half life of this beauty. Ask yourself a question, if you can live with that maintenance + 30% more as it will get more older and prone to expensive repairs year after year.

I understand that its a buyer market these days, so if you are getting a sweet deal then go for it. If not I wouldn't risk big money on 7 year old sports car.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your sweet ride, but sorry to hear about its present conditipn.

Hope you know that engine replace is the last resort that any owner/mechanic comes to an agreement. Before that there are millions of attempts and ideas break into fix the dying engine to same professional level. reason im saying this that even if you buy a used engine then you might have much worse issue as you are not buying new one off the crate or you are not buying one from running car. So fix what you have (if possible) has much better success ratio

Better to search in sharjah scrapyard in sajja and hope you can get lucky from some rear or side accidental car. Sajja used parts area has much organized than before, so it will be easy to find there.

What is the problem with the engine and why can't it be fixed? 

And yes, Saaja would be a good place to look for an engine. It's very well laid out. You can usually get in and get what you need and get out in under an hour. You need to be careful what you buy though and make sure you get some sort of warranty. I did a job a few weeks ago and ended up with 2 dud engines before I got a good one. 

Thanks for the reply's guys, the issue Barry is a bottom end knock so could be big bearings i have been quoted between 39000 aed and 80000 aed if the engine is cracked from a Porsche indy. The crankshaft replacement will be around 59,000 with new crank pistons etc. I wont really know until they crack the engine open however as its a flat 6 its not to easy to do! hence thinking of a 2nd hand unit. maybe fix the current engine myself in my spare time.

thats really bad.... you could have checked it before buying like bringing it to someone who knows to inspect the vehicle well!
Like barry lets say xD