•  
Advertise here

OBD II reader on Nissan pathfinder 2001 model

Dear All,

Last time I had some timing issue with my Nissan Pathfinder 2001, R50 and the garage people wanted to make the readings on the OBD II reader, but they were unable to connect due to the connector cable not being compatible. They tried bring about 4 adapters but none of them worked. Anybody has any experience or ideas as to how I can get the adapter or a connector cable to be replaced which will solve this issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.2005_nissan_maxima_obd_connector.jpg

I tried my OBD2 on Qashqai and the error msg was manufacturer havent allowed ECU to give permission to the adaptor. So i Guess only Nissan can do it!? But how is that possible tho

I have got this crap from small time shops too for my pajero obdII not compatible and they have to change the switch and I need to leave the car and pay 300 dhs.

Took the car to barry expecting same story, and in one minute he found the right adapter and scan the car for free (in promo).

Moral: If you go to big garage they have proper scanner that comes with loads of adapter to fit and these small shops must be getting cheapest obdII scanner with limited adapters.

@Barry when next you are running free scanning promo for carnity members again...?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Many data link connectors look the same in that they have 16 pins, but some are wired differently, which is why some readers cannot connect to the ECU. If you have the right adapter, the wiring sorts itself out, and contact between the scanner and the ECU can be established. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't need the OBD II reader right now, but wanted to get it fixed if required, just in case the need arises.

However what would interest me is if there is an adapter with Barry that might fit my Pathy.

I have a huge box of adapters but 99% of the time I just use one one Bluetooth adaptor.  It's standard odb shape with 16 pins but has some trick circuitry inside that allows it to adapt to read almost anything. Generally, I only need a different adapter for older cars like BMW and Mercedes that have a different plug shape but nowadays it's all standardized. I'm using Launch X-431 Pro software on android which is basically a copy of the dealer software and gives me full scan and programming capability. As long as I stay on top of the updates, if the main dealer can do it, I can also do it. I can remember using some of the older snap on diagnostic systems where you had to change different 'keys' in the the adapter in order to read the ecu. Things have come only really fast, even in the past 2 years. As for some garages not being able to read some cars, that's the difference in spending 50dhs on a generic code reader and spending 9000dhs on the proper tool for the job. 

One thing I've seen a lot of is 'mechanics' scanning for fault codes and blindly changing parts to make the problem go away without any real understanding of what the code means or how the system works. For example, a code will come up for airflow meter. They will fit a new one at 6-700 without even have taking any readings to see what is actually going on. The problem could have been a loose hose clip but they just fitted a 700dhs airflow meter which didn't fix the problem, 'because that's what the computer said'. There's a lot of guys here who call themselves 'full mechanic' when realistically all they are good for is changing oil and brake pads. I spend a lot of my time teaching and training and honestly, it can be frustrating sometimes. A lot of it spent trying to undo bad habits and false information that has been taught by people who shouldn't be working on anything bigger than a Honda 50.

Anyway, I digress, initial computer diagnostic scan will always be free with me for carnity members. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks @Barry, I will bring my ride one of these days and you can check what the other guy was complaining about, as he said it was not 16 pins and none of the 4 adapters he tried fixed with my connector.