•  
Advertise here

Exhaust jacks

Barry

Thanks @Barry, you explained that very well. And yes, you would have to block one of the tail pipes with whatever you have at hand.

• Like (+1) 1

Very humble of you @Barry. Thank you to @treks and @Barry for some eye opening information. This only goes to show I have a lot to learn from my knowledgeable friends here.

• Like (+1) 2

@Rahimdad credit should be given where credit is due. I have never met @treks but his advice has always been spot on. I don't know everything and I've never pretended to know everything. I am competent and 100% capable in my abilities to rebuild anything but I have no shame in admitting that I sometimes consult the workshop manual before I start a job. When you do this for a living, every day is a school day. Anyone who says they know everything is a liar. There is always some new technology coming out on the market and being a professional technician is a constant cycle of reeducation. 

In the next 10-20 years I guess our current trade will be almost redundant with the uprise of electric and autonomous vehicles. I have no interest in that sort of stuff. I hope to retire as a chef, not a mechanic. This was something I started doing as a hobby and got lucky making a career out of it.

Thanks, @Barry, for the kind words.

You are right about our trade becoming redundant- in 20 years time people will go to see their computer engineers when their cars  break down, and no longer their mechanics.

I also agree about everyday being a school day, and there is no shame in consulting a manual. In fact, we would not be professional mechanics if we did not consult manuals and other technical literature from time to time. 

As for retirement- I will be retiring in a few years and die an astronomer, which I had been for longer than I had been a mechanic.