•  
Advertise here

Fancy a new Range Rover classic?

Barry

One can only hope that the differentials on these "new" Range Rovers are redesigned. I remember that when a British team tried to cross the Darien Gap in South America a few decades ago, the whole enterprise had to be abandoned midway through because the diffs on their Range Rovers could not handle the terrain. 

Thanks for sharing @Barry but it is not my cup of tea. Full respect to the Land Rover as I had a Discovery 1998 model for about 5 years and cherished every moment and miss it a lot. One of my friends who owned the same wanted to change the suspensions and the front left suspension was slightly bigger than the rest, when checking we found out that the engineers at LR were so accurate that most time the car would be driven by the driver that that suspension was made slightly bigger and better than others. Further inquiry showed that the front right suspension was the bigger, stronger one on the right hand drive models. the comfort of driving a LR is next to none, and once you have acquired the taste for the LR nothing else gives you that pleasure. However I have seen these in some of the garages in Sharjah and sell for peanuts, in fact maintaining these is so easy and at times cheaper than maintaining a Corolla just because the cars that come from Japan are hardly used and cannot be sold as right hand drives in UAE, so parts are being sold by taking these vehicles apart. If I would really like to have one I would not spend over half a million dirhams to acquire it, I would rather invest in the ones found in Sharjah and have it as my project car to restore it my way.

BTW my favourite ride is the Land Rover Discovery which they used for the Camel Trophy, i found one very neat and clean one at Aweer Market for AED 30K, I wish i had bought it than. It was in full original form with the original Roof Rack, the Lights, Winch and all the works. i have not seen a Camel Trophy version in over 5 years.

You haven't seen them now, as it was post 2000 vehicles and moreover I guess all camel trophy discovery's was diesel engine, kind of misfit here for sand...!

It's an awesome initiative from LR to launch classic as a homeage to real classic RR's.

I so wish if Mitsubishi can do 100% ground up for my Pajero too, i'll pay them anything and buy 2.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

3 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

Thanks for sharing @Barry but it is not my cup of tea. Full respect to the Land Rover as I had a Discovery 1998 model for about 5 years and cherished every moment and miss it a lot. One of my friends who owned the same wanted to change the suspensions and the front left suspension was slightly bigger than the rest, when checking we found out that the engineers at LR were so accurate that most time the car would be driven by the driver that that suspension was made slightly bigger and better than others. Further inquiry showed that the front right suspension was the bigger, stronger one on the right hand drive models. the comfort of driving a LR is next to none, and once you have acquired the taste for the LR nothing else gives you that pleasure. However I have seen these in some of the garages in Sharjah and sell for peanuts, in fact maintaining these is so easy and at times cheaper than maintaining a Corolla just because the cars that come from Japan are hardly used and cannot be sold as right hand drives in UAE, so parts are being sold by taking these vehicles apart. If I would really like to have one I would not spend over half a million dirhams to acquire it, I would rather invest in the ones found in Sharjah and have it as my project car to restore it my way.

BTW my favourite ride is the Land Rover Discovery which they used for the Camel Trophy, i found one very neat and clean one at Aweer Market for AED 30K, I wish i had bought it than. It was in full original form with the original Roof Rack, the Lights, Winch and all the works. i have not seen a Camel Trophy version in over 5 years.

I know a dude who has two CT discos and one of them is the one you showed me garhoud which had been sitting in the driveway for a few years and was in a sorry state and just FYI. The actual CT D1s which took part in the event are Worth a small fortune today and were are diesel. The ones we see are dealer replicas made to look like CT D1s

P.S : Sorry for the shitty grammar for some reason I cannot edit the post from my mobile

@desertdude The one we saw together in Garhoud belonged to Naushad and was robbed of everything. It was truly in a sorry state, but the one we saw in Al Aweer was in very good shape, however the showroom guy was asking for AED 30K which was very steep for me at that time. Even if it was a replica, it was done by LR themselves and I have a special place in my heart for them.

@Gaurav If you would pay anything Mitsubishi will surely do it from ground up for you, if they won't let it be a project car and we will figure out a way to make it look better. BTW I think diesel engine not performing in desert is a misconception, as the earliest 4x4s to step on the UAE desert when there were no roads was the LR 1 which was diesel engine with a 3 speed manual gear box, they did amazingly well and some time back in Maliha they used to use LR 1 for some noisy desert safari. I saw one yesterday near Deira City Ceter, it was restored to very close to original for some free ride to some traditional restaurant. LR carry history and thanks to @desertdude for introducing me to some of the most awesome vehicles in this world.