•  
Advertise here

Do you want to work on your own car?

Barry

Where I come from, the majority of petrolheads work on their own car. Since I came to UAE I've realized people have nowhere to work on their own car because of rules and regulations.

I'm currently working on a project but I need to gauge interest. 

This would enable you to come to a garage, hire a lift and work on your own car for a minimal fee, less than a mechanic would charge.

The lift would be available, tools would be available for hire if you need them, diagnostic computer would also be available for hire. 

If you get in trouble, a fully trained technician would be available to help you out. Classes would also be offered to teach the basics. 

I would also offer full body shop services including paint booth with a professional body man available to help. 

Does this sound like something you would be interested in?

• Like (+1) 1

This is a great idea, and it has become big business in some of countries I've been to in the last ten years or so. I think you are on to a great thing but I can foresee that it might take a while to get off the ground in a country/culture where people don't have a culture of  working on their own cars. Just keep pushing the idea- it is bound to take off!

Great idea @Barry You have a billion dollar idea for anywhere in this world.

Let me repeat myself from another thread, in a place where people would block traffic and honk the grocery store to get one car of Pepsi for AED 1.50 I seriously doubt if there will be many takers. However, a good point is that you are offering equipment  and tools with the space which is very useful. Hopefully you can advise the charges and even if 10% people respond positively to this venture, than you have somewhere to begin with. I guess the first couple of months of launching such a service will be able to gauge the interest and decide if this is something you would like to continue with. I would recommend this to all my family and friends as it gives time to work on something interesting and share some fun and laughs. When you have accomplished some work on your car with any amount of success, you gain the confidence and a sense of achievement. Good thought buddy, you have our backing.

• Like (+1) 1

The standard price for a mechanic here is 150 per hour. 

I was thinking of hiring out lift time for 100 per hour. With my usual 20% carnity discount, which would leave it at 80 per hour. 

A full day would cost 500 for Carnity members. 

The garage is all set up and ready to go. We just need customers. Tell your friends, tell your family, tell your grandmother she can change her own oil and @Barry will be on standby to help. 

Garage hours are 8-6 sat-thurs but out of hours can be arranged. 

• Like (+1) 2