•  
Advertise here

Why offroad clubs in UAE don't share car flip / roll-over incidents?

derik

Thanks guys for making this separate topic, much better to discuss than thread-jacking that drive thread

Great slomo video shows everything other than crucial part of tipping, too bad

One of the most imp reason for roll over we all are missing here is the higher center of gravity, that contribute more than 75% as a cause. Was this vehicle lifted too?

I think the real reason why off road clubs don't discuss rollovers is the fact that they don't want to admit that one of their members was driving recklessly.

However, accidents will happen, but if a rollover was a real accident, there should not be problem with talking about it.

No vehicle was not lifted and it was purely situational accident. If any newbie would have done similar error of being too close or steer upward right when car sliding down left, then maximum he would have got stuck as fighting with gravity. Here coz of rain sand was tight and that didn't allowed vehicle to sink in and get stuck - resulting in flip.

Secondly he is being too close, could be the cause of poor visibility. May be...

Change of position in convoy from 3rd to 2nd was his only fully liable mistake as second lead sometimes get tricky and that's why we have placed a feewbie driver there.

Everyone should respect their convoy numbers unless you have 20-30 drive experience under your belt.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

16 hours ago, Rahimdad said:

@Baraz I am really sorry that you had to face that humiliation. Why don't you join us, we all have bare stock cars and we can help each other and just chill, enjoy and have some fun. Who knows you might lead a drive in 2017 and knock the socks of some of those red faced monkeys. Hahahaha

Thanks for invit but I am busy now with my other (most loved) hobby during weekends and also lost the charm of off-roading.

Thanks Gaurav bhai for sharing.

@slick72 anything related to a fuse, so be it airbags, ABS, EBD anything can have a switch which can be used to turn that function off. In this case the airbags did not deploy. Some people take the cheap way of removing a couple of fuses before driving off in to the sands, some get the switch installed. If you are headed in the direction of placing a switch my advise would be for it to be in a dashboard or somewhere hidden as RTA at passing time can fail the car due to the switch.

55 minutes ago, Baraz said:

Thanks for invit but I am busy now with my other (most loved) hobby during weekends and also lost the charm of off-roading.

@Baraz its still good that you want to learn and ask questions. We are there for you whenever you feel you want to have a try. If you never feel interested in off-roading again, it is your choice and we respect that. Hope you enjoy your current hobby, hope to see you around.

On 2/8/2017 at 6:35 PM, Gaurav said:

Causes of this flip:

• Overnight rain before the drive
  • Heavy sandstorm
  • Poor visibility
  • Too close to the car in front
  • Wrong judgement to steer upward when car is already sliding down

Although video is from a distance and it's not clear, but you can get a quick feel for all the above causes.

IMG_20170203_120310.jpg

IMG_20170203_121436.jpg

IMG_20170203_122031.jpg

Didn't see him close to the car in front of him, I think he wasn't paying attention to the sand dune more than being close the car in front of him..

11 hours ago, teajay said:

Didn't see him close to the car in front of him, I think he wasn't paying attention to the sand dune more than being close the car in front of him..

You cannot see my car in front of him because I had already turned right and gone down, if you take it a couple of frames back, which Gaurav bhai would have to help us with, you will see that he was close to me. Plus a chat with him and he agreed that he had got to close to me and his car had started sliding to the left, but he tried to go right.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to original topic.. why we don't share flips in our club. There are many reasons why we should and why we shouldn't. I will explain it from my club's point of view (we had endless discussions around that within the marshals team):

Why we should:

• an opportunity to discuss, explain and learn from mistakes, especially when the driver explains his actions and mistakes leading to the roll
  • a reminder that this hobby includes risks, and they do happen more than expected

But does that really need to be from a flip that happened 2 days ago? wouldn't any similar flip video on youtube serve the purpose?

There are many reasons why we don't share such videos and pictures... we usually have the following concerns:

• Offroad insurance, most of new trucks will have it and we encourage it for our hobby, but insurance policies and their fine-print differs, and might not cover the same situation the same way! having a video on youtube with the incident might affect that process!
  • Protecting the driver and his feelings, as less experienced drivers might get into emotional shock, and having everyone asking them "what happened with you 6 months ago" is not helpful. Usually drivers who roll will take sometime to rebuild their courage, giving them space is important!
  • Club branding, too many incidents, and you will be labeled as an "unsafe" club, especially as most of the clubs are focusing on safely teaching offroading to new people.

and to cover the learning part:

• We discuss these incidents during briefing before and after drives, respecting the identity of the driver if he/she wants to stay anonymous.
  • We share, explain and discuss rollover videos that are posted online (not specifically our group) and use it to teach the core concepts such as gravity, drifting, hard braking, slope and crest handling... etc.
  • At the end of the day, identifying who rolled is not the point, it is the lesson we want to teach, which can be served without publically sharing the rollover incidents.

My 2 cents :)

• Like (+1) 1