•  
Advertise here

Pioneer car audio system upgrade advice

Gaurav

While I was reasonably happy with my Pajero barebone speakers after installing the single DIN Sony unit few years back, now I decided to upgrade the whole car audio system - preferably to Pioneer.

Though this is my offroad ride, so I want to upgrade this music system to mid-level audio and not the competition level please.

I changed all the speakers to below Pioneer model:

• Front door: Pioneer TS-A1686S - 350W - 60W RMS
  • Back Seat: Pioneer TS-A6996S - 650W - 100W RMS

Now I am seeking advise for adding decent level amplifier and smallest but working woofer due to space constraint. I shortlisted below models, can someone more knowledgeable in car audio watts and numbers advise if this amp and woofer will be compatible enough to the speakers that I bought last week?

• Amp: Pioneer GM-D9605 - Class D 5-Channel Amplifier with Wired Bass Boost
  • Sub: Pioneer TS-SWX2502 - 10" Shallow-Mount Pre-Loaded Enclosure

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Simply match the amp delivering power is more than required for speakers and sub in total. Check this article here and it will educate you on how do calculate for yourself: https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/how-to-match-subwoofers-and-amplifiers.html

Some brands especially at the level you are aiming for are not very true to their printed stickers RMS, so factor that 10%-20% as a lie in amp delivering number, to not to burst the speaker or under-power your sub.

I found this below website, where you can put the model number for the woofer and it will make suggestions as to what amps are going to suit that woofer. Hope this helps. They also have a chat tab, so if you are unable to find the model number for your sub on the webste, you can always chat with an expert and clear your queries.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/Matching-Subwoofers-Amps

Edited by Rahimdad

Yet another good read, but now I am even more confused than when I started, hope some one with knowledge can help us out.

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/newsletter/matching_speakers_amplifiers.html

Why not just go for an active subwoofer, active means it comes with its own built in amp, and is probably the best match combo of amp and woofer, taking out all the guess work out of the equasion and saving on wiring and space which is at a premium in your Jero

Something like this

http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/jbl-gto-751ez-mono-subwoofer-amplifier-with-750-watts-rms-10293589/i/

Thanks for the suggestion, but from the shop I got the speakers installed we agreed for these higher RMS speaker and amp together. However amp wasn't able to fit under driver seat so we left all the wiring and cables for amp but didn't installed it actually.

As a second option he showed me the output of similar active subwoofer and I wasn't convince at all, as similar or an inch less bass is already coming from my rear 100 RMS speaker.

With current situation I have to pump the volume to above 20 to enjoy little bass, and close to 30 for good bass but it looses quality (not distorting off course).

Now when I already have 60 and 100 RMS speaker but head unit supporting 52W x4, then I think my next best bet is to opt for this high class D amp and see if the clarity at top volume satisfy my ears and then decide for sub or not.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update for all, I have finally installed the new head unit from Pioneer that supports 100x4 RMS output and I'm totally happy with its performance and quality. Now I don't think I need additional amp and sub unless I get bored with this setup.

So overall, it costed under 1000 Dhs for complete upgrade for blasting music in my off-road SWB Pajero.

• 370 Dhs: Pioneer DEH-X4850FD Audio Receiver WITH MIXTRAX
  • 150 Dhs: Front door: Pioneer TS-A1686S (6.5 Inch)- 350W - 60W RMS

• 200 Dhs: Back Seat: Pioneer TS-A6996S (6 Inch x 9 Inch) - 650W - 100W RMS

• 200 Dhs: Speaker installation labor

• 50 Dhs: Head unit installation labor

For further improving the noise on high levels, I also got the oxygen free cable that I am yet to install as soon as I have free time. However with pioneer supplied cables output is already amazing, but want to try this oxygen free cable to see what difference they will make as everyone recommends it.

• 1 month later...

Hello Gaurav, 

I came across this post of yours, while looking for tips to upgrade my Pajero's audio system. 

I would appreciate if you could give me some advice. Do you feel the need to add an Amplifier and a Subwoofer to your upgraded audio system. May I also know the shop's address where you bought the system.

Thanks.

Ahmed 

Hi Ahmed, thanks for asking in the forum than PM it just that this way will help everyone like you when they need it.

To be honest apart from small glitch of blip (cut-off) at very high volume, which sometime is irritating I haven't found any sane reason to add amp and sub. And to counter this blip, I found an easy way out to adjust fader to +4 or +6 for rear in a setting of 15 point so that I can hear more from the back and this resulted in a real solid thump from the back that is loud enough to shake my seat backside. However this setting another drawback is in low volume you will miss the front impact so I keep playing with fader as needed. You will understand this and master this if you go with my type of set up. Actual reason for this blip (I think) is front is 60W and rear are 100W and head unit pumping at 100x4. If I play only only on rear then this blip is not there.

In my case it was a space trade-off with this little inconvenience, so I chose the later as my Pajero being off-road ride, I want as maximum space as possible and I don't regret this choice till date. 

If you like to hear this set up, feel free to pass by anytime and that will help you even more in understanding what I am explaining.

Both shop who installed head unit and speaker did't do a good quality job, so don't go there. Instead if you like buy above speaker, head unit and cables from souq or any mall and get it installed with proper sound guy. This made a big difference in my case when I scrapped all OEM wires at Barry's workshop with new cables. Started hearing every little detail as much as my hearing sense can absorb. Proper installation with good cables were amazing and way better than stripping wires and twisting and taping them so many times. Hope it helps.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks, Gaurav.

I would have chosen the front speakers with a lower output than the rear, as you did. Will follow your advice when I decide. You mentioned 'Off-Road' and made me go through your other posts. 👍Want to try that one day. 

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use