•  
Advertise here

Off Road In Luxury Now

desertdude

Defenders are crazy money in any country. My dad wanted to buy one for the snow last year. Not a good one, just a cheap disposable one. We set a budget of £2000, around 10k dhs. We couldn't even find a running one for that money at the time. 

I bought a series 3 Land Rover a few years ago. It was running but it looked rough and I got it VERY cheap. I only bought it because I knew it had modified axles and I wanted to strip them out and sell them and chop the rest up for the scrap aluminum to make a quick buck. My oh my how i wish I had just kept it in the shed. It's worth a small fortune now. 

What is the reason for the Defenders holding their value. They are bare basic, they are old, driven, as per a couple of owners who I knew the Diesel option is under-powered and unreliable. Why than are they so highly priced?

Defenders are crap. They're slow, uncomfortable, noisy, unstable at speed and you need a degree in welding to own one in a wet country. For some reason, some people just love them though and are prepared to pay an extra premium to own one. It's possibly due to easy self serviceability. I guess it's like jeep owners here. Most sane people know they're crap but a few keep buying them and paying too much for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Barry said:

Defenders are crap. They're slow, uncomfortable, noisy, unstable at speed and you need a degree in welding to own one in a wet country. For some reason, some people just love them though and are prepared to pay an extra premium to own one. It's possibly due to easy self serviceability. I guess it's like jeep owners here. Most sane people know they're crap but a few keep buying them and paying too much for them. 

Hahahahahahahaha. Jeeps are Jeeps Sirjee, Jeeps always run hot, Its a Jeep thing. I agree with you @Barry, However, the Defender sells more expensive than Jeeps here, I heard you can dismantle the whole Defender with a single spanner.

I guess it's perceived luxury because is supposedly a British brand. Most people don't realize it's Indian owned and they're just driving an expensive Tata 😂

Speaking of using a single spanner, when I was working in the plant industry, there used to be an old guy who worked with me. Proper old school, rough and gruff. When it came to fixing hydraulics he only ever carried 2 or 3 spanners in his pocket. When they didn't fit, he stuck coins between the spanner and nut and made it fit. 

IMG_0287.JPG

/Biased Opinion/

I think more than anything and I can say this because I've owned a few LRs and still do and having driven almost everything 4x4 available in this country from the most posh to the most junky ride, is that LR has that one thing, that majority of other cars don't have, character and if I dare to say, a soul. Maybe RD will agree with me, as you can see him still reminisce about his old beat up Disco. LRs are somehow just more than vehicles, think of them as old grump uncle bob you only see on x-mas, he's always drunk, throws up on your new carpet, curses everyone, eats all the good food and just a general all round nuisance, but you still love him to bits and would never think of getting rid of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

Many cars has soul especially my Pajero, I always tell mechanic before working that don't be hard on her or else it won't start. Just a fresh story: I got my new Pioneer head unit yesterday, so went for installation and guy was bit rough in handling. Advise him politely couple of times and he was nice to me but again slightly rough with Pajero wiring, DIN brackets and all. Few minutes later he got nasty cut on his hand and bleeding so bad that I have to offer him band aid and then another fellow took over and finished the rest of the job.

For LR, the best thing that I liked in my Discovery and Range Rover was it's seating position angle and comfort. You sit like a king having super clear view of every inch of road in most comfortable and spacious seating with armrest (WOW). Yes LR's armrest is a big deal as I always surprise why many car manufacturer adopted to add the arm rest with the seat, as it correct the driver posture than leaning all the time to the center console. Armrest based driving is worth the value of whole car. I remember while coming back from Salalah in Range Rover I did 1400 Kms in one stretch in 8-9 hrs duration, I felt sleepy but not tired.

Defender is a different story altogether, I personally feel it's resale is sky rocketing due to it's extremely tough, durable and long lasting built. LR kept it so simple and mechanical that not much chance to go wrong in 70's and when LR realized that as a USP, they just continued on that same legacy.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

11 hours ago, Barry said:

@Gaurav your pajero bit me on the thumb too 😂

So that means you have been bad boy too with my Pajero. Hahahaha

On a serious note, I can't thank you enough for fixing my 18 years old Pajero to the best perfection level that even Habtoor boys are scared to touch.

Engine head work carried by you made a huge improvement that I can continue my long hill climb on some tallest dunes in uae.

THANKS A LOT FOR GOOD WORK.

ps. Sorry about your thumb 👍 though.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.