•  
Advertise here

K and N Air Filter

Hi .. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am looking at installing a K and N filter on my Accord 2014,2.4. I am not too sure which among the 2 from the attachment I should get. Any one on this forum have any experience of using this product.... Thanks

Capture.JPG

The top one is a direct replacement panel filter, the bottom one will replace the whole air box. Basically, the top one if you want to keep everything looking original, the bottom one if you want it to look sporty and have a bit more sound. 

You should probably buy the k&n cleaning kit too consisting of soap and oil. It's only 90-100 dhs and it's the best job. Too many monkeys just blow them out with an airline which goes against the manufacturers recommendation. 

Go with top one, if you don't your car to fail in annual RTA passing. Although cone (bottom) is slighlty better in HP but 1-2 HP over 100+ HP already is not worth the hassle of removing and fixing again every year durinfg passing.

Not necessarily. The cone filter could end up giving slightly less horsepower than the panel filter. The reason being that it's sucking in hot, less dense air from the engine bay whereas a panel filter in the original air box is always drawing in colder, more dense air from the outside. For a cone filter to work properly, the intake system has to be modified correctly to supply it with fresh air. Also, for any performance air filter to make a noticeable gain, it should be coupled with a performance exhaust system, working on the principle of more air into the engine, more air out. And i mean a proper performance exhaust system, manifold, high flow catalytic converter and silencers, not just a back box or a fancy tail piece.

But yes, I agree with the above that the panel filter is probably your best option unless you're building a high performance engine. When taken care of properly with the correct soap and oil as per manufacturers instruction, it will last a lot longer than a standard air filter  

I had seen @desertdude put in a cone filter on his 1998 LR Discovery and he had used one of the cardboard sun shades to make a partition between the filter and the rest of the engine to keep the hot air from going in to the cone filter. Sounded amazing and gave him slight gains, but I don't think the air filter will give you 100 HP increase alone. As @Barry has already explained very nicely, you need a high performance exhaust too. My believe is you need to change the headers and reprogram the vehicle to get the best gain. However all of this is not allowed in Dubai and RTA would definitely fail your car if they see a cone filter or any modifications to your header, Exhaust pipes without cat back system, like straight pipes are also illegal in UAE. If you head to Sharjah in a moded vehicle and if the Police hears a changed sound of your engine, they would stop you, check the car for mods and confiscate it. So best possible solution is to keep it as close to original as possible, go for option 1. Also follow Barry's advise to get a proper cleaner for your filter, as it does extend the life of your investment.

• 1 month later...