•  
Advertise here

Toyota have sold 10 million hybrids

Barry

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2017/02/14/toyotas-10-millionth-hybrid-sale-hints-at-a-greener-future/?client=safari

I found this article stating that Toyota have now sold 10 million hybrids. 

For me, hybrid is over complicated pointless technology. People buy them thinking they are saving the planet. Mining the lithium to make the batteries causes more damage to the environment than most people realise. Driving a 40 year old muscle car every day will cause less pollution than manufacturing a new Prius. I've had the misfortune of driving and working on Priuses (Prii?) a few times and found them to be completely soulless. They are the automotive equivalent of lentil flavoured fat free organic yoghurt served on boiled tofu. 

• Like (+1) 1

@Barry Thanks for the head up, the companies are actually using this technology to gain your soft side about the environment and trying to contribute. I checked with one of the Dubai taxi drivers who was driving the Hybrid and he told me the fuel inted of getting 100 Kms from 9 liters, they get it for 6-7 liters which is not a big saving. I also heard that once the battery goes down you need to replace it at the dealership and cannot be done outside, these not only cost a fortune, but also have to be dispoised properly which also the cost is passed on to the owner. What a rip off.

Can you guys please explain what exactly hybrid means and if car is battery operated then why 6-7 lietr per 100. isn't it supposed to be zero and petrol used only in emergency situations. That's what the impression of hybrid I have at least, perhaps I am wrong. Also @Barry why lithium digging cause harm to environment?

@taqir you are confusing electric cars with hybrids. Electric cars work on battery which are charged through charging stations. Hybrids work on part petrol and part lithium batteries. Hope that clarifies your doubt.

A hybrid car has a conventional combustion engine and an electric motor with batteries. There are 2 types of hybrid car. One runs on electric motors all the time and only uses the engine to power a generator to charge the batteries. The other runs on electric motor and the engine also can power the wheels when more horsepower is required or the batteries are low. Below you can see an example of what lithium mining does to the environment. 

IMG_0298.JPG