•  
Advertise here

Guess I'm doomed then! With the numbers and makes given above by Ethan Both my cars are British, one is 19yrs old and the other is 14yrs old. Both over 220,000kms. O_O

Very good point that pre-early 2000 vehicles are built better. Well, better is a subjective word, maybe simpler and sturdier. Older 4x4s tend to have a complete separate ladder chassis with the body bolted on whereas newer ones tend to be monocoque with front and rear subframes. 

The level of reliability tends to be higher on older cars too. These days manufacturers tend to try to cram as much possible new technology as possible into their vehicles. This is what the mainstream wants though, as opposed to the die hard 4x4 purist who prefers everything mechanical and simplified. It's satisfying pulling a lever to go into 4wd mode and hearing a clunk. You really know you're in 4wd. When you push a button and a light comes on the dash it just doesn't give you the same feeling of satisfaction. Extra technology is just extra stuff to break too. I love gadgets and gizmos but sometimes the pure pleasure of driving something fro, the 70s or 80s is incomparable.

Theres also the factor of emissions. In the olden days, engines were simple. They were simple to run and simple to maintain by the ordinary man. These days everything is crammed with sensors, electrics, CANBUS systems and make it more difficult for the ordinary man to repair his own car. This is all to appease the greenies. I know a lot of very good home mechanics who were very good back in the day, doing things like setting points without a feeler gauge, balancing carbs by ear but show them a new car where the ac isn't working and they would shit in their pants and send it to the main dealer.

On 3/8/2017 at 4:07 AM, desertdude said:

Guess I'm doomed then! With the numbers and makes given above by Ethan Both my cars are British, one is 19yrs old and the other is 14yrs old. Both over 220,000kms. O_O

lololol, what I "want to think" is ethan saying for everyone else other than my 18 years young Pajero, who is still in her teens.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.