•  
Advertise here

Bigger or smaller tire increase fuel mileage?

harryd

I am about to change the tire next month and notice previous owner opted for slightly bigger tire size. Is there any specific reason for someone to upgrade the tire size like better comfort or increase fuel mileage or increase tire life etc. Although I don't have any rubbing or noise issue with this slight upper size, but wanted to know the reason why he has upgraded it?

@harryd is it a 4x4? I have increased the size on my tires as we off-roaders need more rubber on the soft surface in the sand as when we deflate the more rubber we have means more flotation. However if I am not mistaken people increase the tire size on some sports cars to give them a better grip. Bigger tires mostly means heavier tires and any weight added will only increase your fuel consumption, although at times very negligible. Some tires are bigger but are softer and lighter than others with a meaty thread and only add to the comfort level, and being lighter help you save fuel. If you are a bot more specific on your vehicle and tire size we can help you better. 

In your case, the slightly wider tyres will have more rolling resistance, which could increase fuel consumption since the more friction there is, the harder the engine has to work to overcome the added friction. However, the increase in fuel consumption in unlikely to be so big that you'd notice it.

ETA: NOTE TO ADMIN-

I was going to explain about the benefits of increased traction, better braking, and improved steering response that wider tyres bring, but the way the page jumps, making comments disappear in mid sentence is more than I can handle. Can you fix it so the page stops jumping or redirecting, or whatever it is that causes comments to disappear goes away? Or is it just my computer that does this?

Edited by treks

Thanks trek, now im reading more about reduce rolling resistance tire that can increase the fuel mileage and rating comes from A - G. Does anyone know how much practical difference these eco tires rating make from A-G rating in terms of saving fuel. Example: A rate tire use 12L/100 then how much G rating will use XXL/100............hope you understand.