•  
Advertise here

Odometer has been tampered with

Aussie82

Dear All. Advice please. I purchased a second hand car. 2008 Dodge Durango a year ago. Owner had put the car in his driver/errand guys name as he'd left the country and gone back to Germany. I inspected the car, had the full service history (not from dodge by reputable) and as the car had been recently transferred into the driver's name, the test was still valid, I purchased insurance and we were good to go. Have had no problems. I'm going to remove-register it a year later and the RTA are telling me the odometer is being tampered with and two years ago - it was more than double what is on the clock now? Of course I haven't done this - and it wasn't picked up at the time of the inspection last year, which I didn't do as the current test (6 days validity) was in place. Now they are asking for a disclaimer/waiver that states 'I' modified the odometer and they (RTA) are not liable. Apart from thinking this is all a bit of a nightmare. Has anyone at all had any experience like this or a recommendation as to what I should do.....sorry, long winded post. Just don't know what to do? 

@Aussie82 OMG that's terrible, I know a lot of people play with the mileage to get a better resale value, morally incorrect. But I never heard such a horror story and do not know how to guide you. Maybe you could see the manager of RTA, they seem to be nice, friendly and helpful people. Explain to them the whole story and how you were cheated on this case and ask for his advise. RTA have the drivers details who sold the car to you, and maybe they can help resolve this issue.

Since last year or two RTA has done SUPERB job in recording odometer reading during the test in a way to eliminate odometer tampering cases. And this will be totally eradicate in next few years, if RTA set some more harsh penalties for people doing this act or rather criminal activity as why I put my family life at risk in 500k driven that shows 100k. 

Rahimdad is right and RTA should advise you with some help / assistance in tracing the person, but I really don't think they will / should help your car passing in that old km reading. To correct the previous malpractice, I think you need to roll the reading to actual (estimated) kms, so that anyone using that car in future fully aware of it's worth and lifespan. You can go to Aweer shops or in sharjah abu shagara area where they can change odometer reading for 100-200 dhs (I heard this a lot).

Once you find that person or shop details, do check with Dubai Police and see what resolution they can offer? Dubai police is very helpful and I hope they have some nasty fines or penalties or revoking shop license if they found doing these acts and endangering people lives for couple of thousands dhs.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use