•  
Advertise here

Engine oil lifespan in time

Is there any lifespan of engine oil if I am not using the car that much? Service advisor advice that it's 5k - 10K (based on oil) or 6 months whichever comes early, is this 6 months clause is legit or just an excuse for frequent servicing? please advice, thanks in advance.

They want your money. There is no need to change the oil if it has not reached the end of its service life, which is usually 10 000 km, or sometimes more. Check your manual for details.

However, it is a good idea to just start the engine once a week or so to keep the engine lubricated, but I wont keep the oil in the engine for longer than about two years, even if it had not done its allowable mileage. 

• Like (+1) 1

Service centres are scammers. Here is a thread on the issue,

Much better to find an independent garage who knows what they're doing and knows how to follow manufacturers service schedules. If someone tells you an oil is good for 3k or 6k or whatever they're full of shit and most likely putting in the wrong oil which will decrease your engines life. In the U.K. I was doing standard oil changes on some cars at 10,000 miles which is 16,000 kilometres and had no issues. Some brands such as VW and BMW spec oil at twice those distances. Do your research, know what oil your car needs and when it needs changed. Don't trust these capitalist monkeys. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks a lot guys, you all here are really knowledgable and god send for me. I check this point with several colleagues and friends and no one gave me clear cut answer. My common sense logic was going in line with your replies but heart was scared to stretch. Now I can do that comfortably and will change oil after 8-10 months but much before 1 year. I do use car once a week for grocery run, so I guess im good there :-)