Gaurav

Custom fan for A/T transmission cooler with installation = 125 AED

After lot of research I found out that my Pajero occasional overheating is may be because of ATF not working like it should during extra-long hill climbs or after extreme side sloping. The only way to fix this is to either add a cooling fan to cool the transmission cooler or upgrade the transmission cooler size by double at least. With my Pajero super tight engine bay, upgrading to bigger cooler isn't quite possible with ease unless we move lot of stuff around, so I left with an option of fixing an additional fan to rescue.

I searched online many companies and couldn't find any cooler fan that can fit in such a small space of 21cm wide x 25 cm height x 7 cm depth. Majority of fans were bigger and some of them were much smaller than the required space. So yesterday I went to @shadow79 Saleem (055 7979626) workshop named as Karim auto to see what make shift arrangement he can offer as per our last meet discussion in Dreamland.

Saleem spent almost an hour in searching for the perfect size fan that can fit in such a small space and still utilize all the area and yet has good speed to cool the transmission cooler. Then he spent almost 3 hours to perfectly install the fan with all required safety electrical installation and sealed the shroud perfectly to push the air through the cooler. 

For similar custom make installation he charges around 200-250 AED, but being a carnity member he asked for 125 for the whole job including the fan cost of 75 dhs alone. It was a real sweet deal, time and effort well spent in installing something so small but very helpful for all offroader for the hotter months. I will test this fan on coming friday drive and will update the results here.

Anyone want to visit Saleem, has my highest recommendation for his knowledge, experience, tools, equipment and patience to do almost anything required in car electrical, A/C and mechanical jobs. Though his workshop is not as big or flashy as you might expect, but he will definitely offer most honest and capable mechanic experience you can get in fraction of the cost.

IMG_3537.JPG

Hi Gaurav. I live in Muscat and am facing this same issue. Discussed with the dealership service guys this morning and they suggested to get it done through some mechanic in Dubai.

Could you pls let me know how long it took you to get this fan fitted and whether the transmission overheating issue is completely resolved with this solution?

My AT light was occasional on extreme hill climbs and this additional fan has solved this problem and I have never seen that light again.

It took me and @shadow79 less than half day to hunt perfect fit from scrap and install it with the switch on demand to keep AT oil cooler cooled.

During normal tarmac runs when you do not switch on the fan dont you think the amount of fresh air reaching the cooler is restricted?

Lost airflow will be minimal as when you're driving, the speed of the air will cause the fan to rotate and adequate air will be supplied. To be honest, if the transmission is running hot or overheating on tarmac, even with the oil cooler covered, there's bigger issues than the cooler.

Can you guide as to which car to source a suitable fan from ? Also any idea whether this fitment may have an effect on the dealer's warrantee?

@shadow79 can advise on a suitable fan. 

It wont affect the warranty because it’s easily removed if you have to visit the dealer. Nobody needs to know if you don’t tell them 😉