•  
Advertise here

How many parts makes one car?

ging

Any idea guys how many spare parts make one full car? And which brand or model has least amount of parts in it? Also am I right to assume that least parts = least probability to go wrong?

• Like (+1) 2

@ging very nice question, I have recently started to wonder the same myself, but never found the words to put it across as a question. Sometimes I have wondered that you want to buy part by part and build a car on your own would cost you 6 times as much. I believe you are not only looking for the major parts that run a car, but each and every part like the fender, fender flare if applicable, bonnet, glass, each and every piece of rubber, plastic, metal and glass that completes a car. Waiting for our tech dudes to answer this one.

This depends on the car, but to give you an idea, BMW E36 consists of 3600-odd parts. This includes everything from the engine block to the clips holding trim panels in place. I know this because I worked in the BMW factory in South Africa at one time on a contract basis. This was in the mid-1980's when I still traveled extensively, and for what it's worth, it took 7 hours to build an E36 from scratch- from the time the first weld happens, to the time the last badges are attached.

In those days, this translated into one complete car leaving the factory every 7.5 minutes, but all of this was a long time ago so I have no idea how long it takes to build a BMW now.

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1

Indeed it's a brilliant question to give some idea that how much parts reliability and total harmony forms a single car and how much possibilities exists to all or few to go wrong to make your car ownership experience a living hell.

In my estimate today world car in 2016-2017 model each car must be having over 200-300 critical components and 6000-8000 non critical components. This numbers will be more in German cars as they like to stuff their cars too much and lesser in Japanese.

• Like (+1) 1

Yesterday I thought of same thing while browseing through scrapyard in sharjah. Thought if only I had the knowledge I can get my own car customIzed  in a lot cheaper price than agencies.  Specially a LEXUS. It's so easy to find parts.

Yup because Lexus is among one of the best built cars and their scrap parts from accidental cars run forever.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 5/10/2017 at 0:51 PM, Herry Das said:

Many user give details about spare parts and accessories need to make a car. But important part they not mention over here that is battery. Car battery is a rechargeable battery that supplies electrical energy to a motor vehicle. The car battery provides the jolt of electricity necessary to power all the electrical components in your vehicle. Talk about a pretty huge responsibility. Without battery power, your car as you have probably noticed, won’t start.

@Herry Das good point, but let alone battery, nobody mentioned any parts as the topic is more general and to do with the number of parts in a vehicle and not the details of the parts and what they do.

Thank for sharing though, a very valid point indeed.