•  
Advertise here

Best 'out of the box' 4x4

Barry

Which is the best out of the box 4x4 for desert driving? By out of the box, I mean completely standard, as the factory built it, no modifications other than deflated tires. And why? Old cars, new cars all inclusive. Anyone can spend thousands on something and make it good but I'm interested in what is good without spending anything other than the purchase price. And also interested in different cars according to price range too. 

• Like (+1) 1

Very nice topic @Barry and a very good observation from @evoboy2016.

To be honest, Jeep Wrangler is the best stock with enough ground clearance, and a good enough engine and gear to go. However the reliability issue kind of gets in the way. My favorite models are the TJs from 1999 to 2004 with the manual 5 gear. Most of the older vehicles are better in my opinion, as the lesser the computers the better control you have which is what you need in an off-road vehicle. I have had a chance to drive a couple of these TJs and they are better comfort than the earlier YJs, slightly less comfortable than the modern JKs. Although I have heard a lot of praise for the new Pentastar 3.6 liter engines on the new JKs, but recently after vehicles which have completed over 100K kilometers and are out of waranty a lot of issues with the engine have come to light. Some of these were also discussed on Carnity and seem common after the warranty period is over. With the newer cars the main issue is with the low overhang bumpers and the fancy kits that come off on a sneeze, let alone touching the sands.

In off-road the lesser is better, lesser electronics, lesser computers and lesser safety and assistance features, TJs from 1999 to 2004 fit the bill in every way.

Meh. I've worked on hummers before. I was less than impressed on test drives. Put your foot down and watch the Nissan sunnys fly past. 

The first time I drove a hummer I was actually scared, oh Jesus did I break something? But no, it was just slow and shite! 

@Barry you don't need a fast machine in the desert, its more about the torque which gets you out of the soft stuff and gets you moving. But these things are huge and on any grounds you need to keep them moving, momentum is your friend.

Unfortunately there is nothing "Best 'out of the box' 4x4" in this existing world as every top performer lacks in one or the other element and require either bit of adjustment or upgrades.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

i m with rahim bhai get cherokee sport manual 97 to 2001 it has metal bumpers in front and rear and has a cute ground clearance with a bit of good driving etiquette i believe its fancy enough without the mods and just one thing is the side note when you go crazy with just keep an eye on the heat needle it will rise so better safe then sorry know just when to stop so you wont bust the radiators or pipes... 

FJ Cruiser, Nissan Xterra, Land Cruiser swb and nissan patrol swb is the only real capable offroader in stock state. 

11 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Only....I doubt it....

Keep on, it doesn't matter as OP asked out of the box and not out of the grave.