•  
Advertise here

Peeling paint on wheel arches

Has anyone had experience of paintwork on the plastic wheel arches (2013 model) producing orange bubbles and eventually peeling off? The dealer is claiming it's not covered by the warranty as we were late for a service in the car's first year (as if checking paintwork would be part of any service, and this fault was not evident until midway through 2016 anyway).

I have seen his problem on other Fortuners and it is particularly visible on white models like mine. It seems to be an issue with the paint not adhering properly to the plastic but at this stage the dealer will not accept any responsibility.

Thanks in advance.

If the dealer won't sort it, try writing directly to the manufacturer and asking for goodwill. Sometimes manufacturers will pay all or a proportion of the repair cost if you can prove it's a manufacturing fault. 

If it's up to yourself to fix it, make sure the surface is thoroughly cleaned and degreased and a high quality plastic primer is used before any paint is applied. 

@Drewid The Consumer Rights people are also helpful to some extent at times. You need to log a complaint with Al Futtaim in writing and get in writing from them that it does not fall under warranty. Have all your proof of purchase and all your documents regarding the services ready and sent it to Consumer Rights. I know of a couple of cases where they stepped in and made things happen when the agencies had already declined.