•  
Advertise here

Good quality off-road tyres selection

Dear Members, 

Please suggest me some good quality off-road tyres from any famous and reliable brand. I have been unfortunate enough to change 3 pairs of tyres (total 6 tyres) within last one year due to unknown reasons. And tyres are a thing you can't argue with supplier or service center or anybody for that matter. I am currently having "Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G-051 275/65 R17" Tyres on all wheels (photo attached). But these are all-terrain and I really don't know why i had issues with inner side getting rubbed much faster and killing the tyres in small span. 

Need some good suggestions based on your expertise and experience. 

Thanks & Regards

@syedmeesamali It is very sad to learn about your dilemma, you mentioned H/T which is highway terrain and not all terrain (AT-S). There are several great tires for off-roading out there and it depends on what you feel will work best for you. I am not sure about the Yokohama Geolander H/T, but @Gaurav is using the Yokohama Geolander AT-S which are doing awesome off-road and are quiet and smooth on-road as well with no noticeable noise whatsoever. I have also written a review on my experience with the Nitto Duragrapplers, they like the Yokohama are made in Japan and last at least 3-4 years with both on-road and off-road usage.

Hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 1

If the insides of the tyre are wearing so quickly it's possible you have a suspension issue. I recommend you go to a decent garage and have all your bushings checked and a proper 4 wheel 3D alignment which includes checking camber, castor and toe. A lot of garages here only check toe on the front wheels so it's important that all 3 dimensions are checked on both front and rear wheels and remember if the rear wheels are out, it also affects the front wheels. 

• Like (+1) 3

Thank you very much @Rahimdad and @Barry for suggestions. Actually wearing issue happened to me twice and I am always having my service from Futtaim AutoMall. I told them about the issue. They carried out alignment and balancing for wheels and also checked if something was rubbing against the inner wall but found nothing. Was quite strange for me unable to find out apparent reason. Now I am up for changing to off-road tyres as they have stronger and more durable tread patterns. It was also suggested by Futtaim guys. My choice is GoodYear tyres. Any other suggestions of tyres esp for off-road are welcome. Also please suggest any good garage which can be fully trusted. In high-quality garages I know of "max" only but they are too pricey even for small jobs. 

I had something similar issue in past when I was driving with cooper tires and cooper dealer renaissance trading in deira 04 2669166 sent me to some specialize 3D lazer wheel balancing workshop to adjust the toe, camber and bla bla's like barry mentioned. It was about 5-6 years back and all I remember that they were using the John Beam balancing system.

Either you find some dedicated specialize tire balancing guys to cure this peculiar problem or call renaissance guys and get the name and number of their trusted workshop where I been, as I don't have their contact detail.

For the offroad tires, there are few tires I can suggest and recommend based on my 10+ year own experience in offroad.

Listed below based on my preferences:

1. Yokohama Geolander A/T-S
    • Awesome for offroad in sand, wadi and mountain.
    • Reasonably comfortable on road
    • Reasonably acceptable on fuel mileage
    • Reasonable tire life of 30,000 - 40,000 kms
  2. Michellin LTX M/S-2
    • Awesome for sand but not great for wadi and mountain.
    • Super comfortable on road
    • Good for fuel mileage
    • Awesome tire life of 60,000 kms
  3. Cooper ATR
    • Good for offroad in sand, wadi and mountain.
    • Reasonably comfortable on road
    • Looses tire chunks at half life
    • Reasonable tire life of 30,000 - 40,000 kms
  4. BF Goodrich
    • Very good if your car engine has power modification as they are very heavy for hill climb otherwise
    • Awesome for self recovery in sand and great in mountain traction
    • Tooooooo noisy on road - similar to Cooper STT having aggressive tire tread
    • Bad for fuel mileage
  5. Dunlop / Bridgestone  - Stay away for offroad usage as far as possible.

Instead of Michelin LTX has best of all, but still I rate them second because best tire term should be as an overall factors. I think Yokohama Geolandar has crack that formula very well to strike a balance in offering Good + acceptable without any bad aspect.

Secondly while shopping stick to denomination of A/T-S or M/S-2 or ATR specifically as all company slightly different variation comes in same tire name but for road usage like Yokohama Geolandar H/T (highway tread) - NO NO for off road.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

First step is to stop going to Al Futtaim as they clearly dont know what they are doing. Uneven wear is not the tyres fault. if you alignment is 100% correct then the problem lies in your suspension and/or steering linkages. Worn out bushes or sloppy ball joints. Mostly seen on modified Sheeps the entire front end has so much negative camber looks like the car is trying to do a split from the front.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks brother @Gaurav for very detailed write-up on choosing good tyres for my car. Also many thanks @desertdude for opening by eyes about Al-Futtaim. I am having my servicing ONLY through them since i purchased car and they always seem to be very pricey. Don't want to mention figures but i almost never had service below 4 digit figures. Whatever they tell me to replace or upgrade i immediately comply and still I am having mess with tyres and changed so many. I really feel scammed sometimes. One final request to very kind members, please give me information about really good and trustworthy garage where I can always go. Surely based on combined experience of members there should be some trustworthy places to go.

As of tyres I will finalize "Geolandar A/T-S" and hopefully they will last at least 40-45k km.

• Like (+1) 1

@syedmeesamali you are most welcome brother. This is a car community and it means that we are there for each other and protect each other from being ripped. As per my experience a different set of skills and equipment is required for each problem faced, so each one of the problems can have a different garage or expert to solve your issues. My advise to you would be to search for posts with your problem, if you do not find one then post as detailed a report about your problem as you can here. Sometimes you can do some simple stuff at home and won't even need to go to a garage, while at other times we can suggest the garage that will best suit your need at the time. Keep coming back to your community and add value to it, and take advantage of the ample knowledge already available to you through this forum. Some day you might be able to suggest us something which we missed out on and you have experienced. Wishing you nothing but the very best bro.

Very well said Rahimdad, meaning of community is not appropriately understood by many in UAE and they always think their wallet have to be ripped off before listening to any solution.

Syed, I strongly advise you to sort your alignment issue first before buying new tire to save them and use them as they are inteded for. This issu isn't big deal but require some expert to figure out and fix out based on degrees and angles.

For Geolander, be sure you can't go wrong as I have purchased my second set 6 months ago by repeating the same tire set for first time in my car owning experience of 18 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

• 3 years later...
On 5/22/2017 at 5:00 PM, Gaurav said:

Very well said Rahimdad, meaning of community is not appropriately understood by many in UAE and they always think their wallet have to be ripped off before listening to any solution.

Syed, I strongly advise you to sort your alignment issue first before buying new tire to save them and use them as they are inteded for. This issu isn't big deal but require some expert to figure out and fix out based on degrees and angles.

For Geolander, be sure you can't go wrong as I have purchased my second set 6 months ago by repeating the same tire set for first time in my car owning experience of 18 years.

Hi @Gaurav

I am currently using Maxxis (on road preferred) tyres since a few years and was planning to change tyres after a newbie drives. Just last week I am being promoted to Fewbie and was planning to post my query for a good tyres in our forum as suggested by @Emmanuel 

I am happy to read all these old posts about the same. I already had eyes on Yokohama geo lander after seeing @Srikumar and now more than convinced to go with Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

I am not able to find a good party to buy and get it fixed and also get wheel alignment done. It would be great if any suggestion of a good one cost effective but who knows the stuff. I want to do this before this Friday drive. Suggestions welcome please. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1