•  
Advertise here

Why you should stop when your car overheats

Barry

Too often I see people with a car that overheats. They just keep driving and think they can put water in when they get home and it will be ok. 

Below you can see the consequences. The first picture shows the coolant leaking from between the block and cylinder head. The leak is spread the full way around which is never a good sign and indicates major distortion.

The second picture shows to an extent the damage inside the block. The cylinder walls are in my opinion beyond repair, no amount of honing can save them. The bottom of the bores are too badly scored. I measured 7-8 thou of distortion in the block and never even bothered measuring the head because experience tells me it's all scrap and a replacement engine is the only viable solution. 

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

Unfortunately Ive seen this too many times. O sold my immaculate with only 45k on the clock Range Rover to a friends friend. The guy burst the hose pipe near his home in The Greens drove it to festival city and back in traffic and was then complaining how his engine got knackered. Fortunately even after all that abuse it just blew a head gasket and is still on the roads till today. Another friend hasn't bought a car yet on which he has had to replace the engine on due to the same reason. Hopefully his latest ride doesn't suffer the same fate. But not holding my breath!