•  
Advertise here

Car scams

Barry

Here are the details of a scam that takes place in U.K. And Ireland and is currently on the increase. 

Someone is selling their car and advertises it. 

Someone comes to look at the car. There is always more than one person. 

While the first potential customer chats to the seller and distracts him, one of the customers friends will open the header tank and pour oil inside. 

The customer walks to the car with the seller and pretends to inspect it. During inspection he will open the header tank and 'find' oil inside. He will then proceed to tell the seller that the head gasket is blown and try to buy the car for half of what it's worth citing repair costs. 

Now, I doubt this would happen much in UAE. The majority of people are too lazy. But I'm interested to hear of any other potential car related scams that may or may not go on, wherever in the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here in the UAE second had car showrooms would give you dirt for your vehicle citing different small little issues and after a little spit polish you will see these cars back up for sale within a month for at least 12 - 15K above what they have purchased.

That aside one of the scams here was on a very popular car sales website, where the seller advertises his car for less than half the market value. There is a UK mobile number given and you can whatsapp them, to which the seller will ask your email address. Later in the day you will receive an email saying that he had to leave UAE in a hurry as his visa was cancelled, he has travelled back to UK, but car is still in Dubai. He does not have any friends or relatives to show the car and if you send him the money for his ticket to Dubai, as he is not sure to come all the way to Dubai and you refuse to buy it, so this would assure that his trip is not a waste and he will deduct the value of the ticket from the car value. Several people who fall for the cheap car trick lost the price of a London-Dubai-London ticket in this scam.

buy sell any car get cash in 10 min bla bla bla .com are the biggest scammers and rip off in my eyes. Online listing quote you 60k when you visit and waste 2 hours they quote you 30k for bullshit of the reason. Now why would I sell my car coz one monkey telling me

• that my car interior need A to Z repair for 10K when I can't even see a minor scratch in my Leather upholstery.
  • I selected 110k reading in website for car that has done 112, but they value at 120k.
  • Passenger door repainted for minor ding dangs in Dubai parking, consider as accidental car that is fully repainted.

For above three reason they deduct 30k. It's utter waste of time.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

still didnt forget the 2 hours i wasted to get a quote of 12000 for the e55 at sellanycar

Edit: thats what the salesman told its worth. it was 9k actually.

Edited by hAwX

I think this thing is scary if you're not careful enough on the things that you're doing. It's really hard to find a great showroom or dealer that can supply you great cars

6 hours ago, Stef.an said:

I think this thing is scary if you're not careful enough on the things that you're doing. It's really hard to find a great showroom or dealer that can supply you great cars

Hey @Stef.an you forgot the right price. Normally car showrooms offering you quality vehicles will charge you a premium price.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2017 at 5:20 PM, Rahimdad said:

Hey @Stef.an you forgot the right price. Normally car showrooms offering you quality vehicles will charge you a premium price.

Well, I forgot to mention that. It's really hard to pick which showroom will give the right offer

All these shiny showrooms are expensive to build and coffee isn't cheap. There is overheads costs, electricity, jumped up overpayed  salesmen who have no interest in cars, pretty secretaries in short skirts, etc. That's why cars from showrooms are more expensive.