•  
Advertise here

Prado 2010 VXL Variant Rear Air Spring Problems

Last Friday I had a problem with my car, it starts bumping from back, giving a feeling that rear shock absorber are not working at all car is only running on rear springs.

Upon visiting Toyota agency in my city (Makkah) after a day of investigation toyota come back to me with replacement of air spring assembly costing around 800 USD with labour.

Has anyone else have such experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Damn didnt even know Prados were riding on air suspension. Atleast not the GCC veraion Ive seen here. $800 dont seem too much for a dealer job. Dunno about Saudi, but here you can have just the airbag replaced for around 500dhs. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think only VXL have air springs with height adjustment and adaptive suspension.

They were not firm with to be replaced spares, doubts were there, air compressor might be required replacement.

I havnt received my car yet, let's hope for the best.

Nevertheless, this problem left me a severe back pain because of bumpy ride.

• Like (+1) 1

A bumpy ride indicates the bags are totally deflated and car ia riding on bumpstops. Could be a leak in bags which can cause the compressor to keep trying to keep up by constantly try to pump air in, causing it to burn out. But I still think under 3000dhs to fix a air suspension at the dealers is not bad. If the front end is also on air then doubt its the compressor though.

You could do a DIY troubleshoot, could be something as simple as a airline just got loose at the connector and ia now leaking air 

• Like (+1) 1

Finally I have got the car back, with just one air spring replaced. 

Not sure why just one.

I will share the pics for the replaced unit soon.

The car is now working great with a smooth ride, and height adjustment function working normally.

Thanks to all of you for your comments & advises.

• Like (+1) 2

Well congrats for getting car back, I know how it feels without car when you only have one car. Btw, I am also surprise to hear that prado has air struts which is known devil for all german and uk cars.

The general consensus is to to change them in pairs. They are made of rubber and like tyres will wear over time. If one side is gone you can be pretty sure the other is also about to go as they both age equally. I would change the other side rear one also as a preventive measure

2 hours ago, desertdude said:

The general consensus is to to change them in pairs. They are made of rubber and like tyres will wear over time. If one side is gone you can be pretty sure the other is also about to go as they both age equally. I would change the other side rear one also as a preventive measure

I agree, but I left the decision on the dealer. But your idea as a preventative measure is worthy.