•  
Advertise here

De ville good or bad?

Hello everyone,

I wanted to discuss the pros and cons of the De Ville 05 which I know how has been taken over by the DTS and has turned into

another car completely. I am being offered a 05 de ville at a very less price but i dont want it to become a problem for me in the

longer run. I don't mind owning another car since i really admire the looks of the de ville. its old scool and i am an old guy now. :ugeek:

One of the most common problems was with the engine. Reports said that the De ville use to burn oil and owners were feeding it oil on a continuous basis. Problems with the older de villes weren't even covered by GM under warranty! I remember that someone i knew had a 97 model and he had to have his exhaust manifold replaced even before the car hit 80,000 km.

Don't forget the rage people had to deal with when their de villes would malfunction electronically. Windows, doors, locks, trunk release ... etc etc all would stop working at some point in time. But i don't think that problem was common in the 05 model you are asking about.

I remember that GM recalled more than 100,000 models in 2002 or 2003 due to potential fuel leak problems or something to do with a faulty fuel tank pressure sensor that could have led to fuel leaks ... something along those lines. the De Ville went under a lot of criticism after that. No wonder they discontinued the name and the car type.

thanks for everyone's views .. i had limited knowledge about the recalls, safety and mechanical issues .. and if the post 2000 models were not a hit i wonder how De ville changed till 05 ... i think ill keep my money intact .. rather buy something i really want. Thanks again everyone.