•  
Advertise here

Ford Mustang GT - just not starting

My 2012 Ford Mustang GT with 115,000 kms is not starting after 7 days of sitting in parking. It has 15 months old Solite 66 Amp battery that shows green eye (good health). Still I suspected the battery, so use the Anker car charging battery and it did start the car in first attempt. After a while shut the car off and start again to test - not started. Used the Anker charger again several times but failed.

Then hooked up with my Pajero 90 AMP (2 weeks old) battery and car didn't started at all even after revving Pajero or leaving jumper cable on for 20-30 minutes. Removed the mustang battery completely and hook the jumper cable directly to Pajero, still not starting. The only difference I notice is when I hook up jumper cable all interior light comes up full bright, as with old mustang battery it stays dim.

After all this, I doubted on corroded battery terminal with lots and lots of greenish dry residue, so gave all terminal full detail cleaning with steel wool and made them shiny, but still car fail to start. Then in end before giving up hook up an Anker again and this time it start the car again and I let the car idle for 30 minutes to charge the battery fully. Again when I switch off, it didn't started back EVER, even with help of Anker and with jumper cables too.

Please help guys on what I am missing here......?

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

US and Japanese car batteries are different, and as you mentioned bad terminal then i'll definitely suspect them to be the main cause here. Just change the battery to exact same spec of motorcraft stock mustang battery and see.

• Like (+1) 1

The best thing you can do now is to have @Barry run a diagnostic check and see which codes pop up. There are a great many possible reasons why your car won't start, and disconnecting the battery without a good reason could have made the problem worse. I won't even guess at the most likely cause at this time- get the codes, and then we'll be better able to assist you.

ETA: Does the engine crank at normal speed when you turn the key? Does the engine crank at all? Did you check battery/engine/body ground connections? Have you had trouble with the starter relay before? Is the starter relay OEM (Original equipment)?

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 1

do one thing when you put the cables. put one on battery plus and other on top of the engine that way you can figure out if the other end of negative is bad {body earth} and as for the batterys dont believe those greens blacks and whites they are for consumers to be fooled...i have dead batterys laying here showing green at the workshop

• Like (+1) 1

As per the codes, I have an option to check all system in car from dash on board computer and for second time when car started it was showing "Service Advancetrac" that's a Ford stability system.

I wasted full day online yesterday to search Amaron or Varta for Mustang but failed as those batteries doesn't come in Mustang size DIN type battery as per few monkeys over the phone.

Went to Rask al khor by myself with current battery dimensions and bought similar size Amaron 74 AMP, went home and plugged it in and car started and roared without a hiccup. Drove for an hour with ear to ear smile.

What a total waste of time and learning curve to not to trust in-dash battery checker showing battery is good, green eye like saleem said is also waste of time.

Thanks Barry for being very helpful on phone and advices for debugging, to doubt more on battery.

Just for future reference, I'd like to share a couple of easy things to help diagnose battery without a tester that we discussed on the phone. These are not foolproof but it can give you something to go with when you have no tools available.

Check if you have lights on the dash. Switch on the headlights and try to start the car. If the headlights dim very very low when you're trying to crank, start to suspect that the battery doesn't have enough power. Another indication is that you hear a click click click from the starter motor. This click click click could be a faulty starter motor solenoid but it can also be a low battery which is the first thing to check.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes the amron battery's only come in Japanese sizes as of yet so if your car shares the size with Japanese sizes then you can put or else you have to change the connector ends to fix it right plus take care that if it hits the bonnet then you gonna have holes there 😀😀😀

And the fords have a fuse to be pulled out if you gonna store the car for a period which will lower its battery draw but when you put it back to use the car then for first few days the car is gonna act funny till it learns the throttle curves and shift patterns and idles speed values but don't worry it will be fine after few days or else you can do 1 more thing just start the car for 10 to 15 minutes every 4 to 5 days that way you won't go through the hassle ☺😀😀😀😀😀

Too late to the thread, but from your first post I was 90% sure it was the battery. A weak battery will cause all sorts of error codes in modern cars so that route is almost not worth taking.

On 6/10/2017 at 8:33 PM, desertdude said:

Too late to the thread, but from your first post I was 90% sure it was the battery. A weak battery will cause all sorts of error codes in modern cars so that route is almost not worth taking.

I agree but what surprise me for the first time in my 20 years of car driving history that jump starter with newer, stronger and fully charged battery didn't worked just because it's a wrong spec.