•  
Advertise here

Hire car in the desert

Barry

A few noob questions here. 

Has anyone taken or know anyone who has taken a hire car to the desert?

What happens if you break something? Are you insured or do you have to pay for the damage?

Are you even allowed to take a hire car to the desert?

i remember that once one of my friends took a car from a reputed rent car may be hertz or eurocars or somewhere i dnt exactly recollect but he flipped it over and he called the office and they came and gave him another car there and took care of the rest he also mentioned that he was fully insured for the whole gulf so basically if we were in oman or saudi there too they would have done the same gave a replacement and take care of the wrecked thing..... 

This is something new to me @shadow79 as far as I know my friend also rented through Hertz but he was told it was not covered for off-road. He did some very little and easy patch with us just to get a feel and nothing happened so I can't verify this information. However, if Hertz is giving off-road cover they are a very good option.

I have always recommended Off-Road Zone for Jeep rentals. They have these cool modified Jeeps Wranglers you can rent for the weekend and cover off-road. If you would like a little more comfort they also have some Jeep Grand Cherokee and similar to get you through the soft stuff.

They are located somewhere in Al Quoz. Hope this helps.

I second with Off-road zone as seen many people driving their vehicle in desert without any complaint.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

On 6/15/2017 at 1:30 AM, shadow79 said:

i remember that once one of my friends took a car from a reputed rent car may be hertz or eurocars or somewhere i dnt exactly recollect but he flipped it over and he called the office and they came and gave him another car there and took care of the rest he also mentioned that he was fully insured for the whole gulf so basically if we were in oman or saudi there too they would have done the same gave a replacement and take care of the wrecked thing..... 

what if it's our fault? also flipping it doesnt sound soo good and i think.... its the driver's fault!?

• Like (+1) 1

Thats where the full insurance thing kicks in...no matter whose fault if you can drive and are fine you get another car on the spot and they fill up the details later by providing your documents to authority's....and I also remember they charge a crazy amount per day as compared to rent shops in sharjah rent cars

Edited by shadow79
More information
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Barry said:

A few noob questions here. 

Has anyone taken or know anyone who has taken a hire car to the desert?

What happens if you break something? Are you insured or do you have to pay for the damage?

Are you even allowed to take a hire car to the desert?

Hi,

I have no idea about hiring a vehicle for the desert but was conveyed by some people that the off-road insurance does not cover accidents if you are more than a few meters from the road. It seems this is in the fine print . Kindly confirm.

On 6/15/2017 at 1:30 AM, shadow79 said:

Well, it's good to hear that info. But this is really the fault of the driver right? I mean, it won't flip if he was a great driver right? XD

I had off-road cover for the desert which honored any accidents in the desert. Even on road accident means it is one drivers fault which means a fine from the Police and a report which the Insurance has to honor the claim on a compehensive insurance.