•  
Advertise here

Why do you need roll cage for Motor Sports

So far as per my understanding the roll-cage was a means to prevent the roof from caving in in-case of a roll over. If you are thinking on the same lines, think again. After watching some interesting videos and doing some more research, I discovered that a roll-cage serves a lot more in case of modifications on the vehicles whether for off-roading or racing or any motor sports purpose. Most modifications on vehicles also includes removing certain things to lessen the weight of the vehicle keeping in mind the power to rate ratio concept. When these modifications are made the integrity of that vehicle structure can go for a toss. So as per my new learning the roll-cage does prevent the roof for caving in just incase there is a roll-over, but also helps keep the integrity of a vehicles structure which is ripped off certain parts to lighten the vehicle.

Please feel free to discuss further or ask questions if you have more to add or you do not understand the concept so I can explain further.

Thanks for reading.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. The first reason is safety, the second reason is rigidity. If you push a car hard, then push the same car hard again with a roll cage, you will feel the difference in the corners. A car body has an unbelievable amount of flex and a cage takes this flex out. All the stresses are transferred to the suspension where they should be and the suspension can do its job properly. For fast road use, you can achieve a similar effect without a cage by adding front and rear strut braces. It's a lot cheaper and less intrusive. Seam welding the body shell is another method used to reduce flex and increase rigidity.

Ill also add, never drive a caged car without wearing a helmet. Not even for a short journey. When you get flung around in an accident, your head will get badly cracked open on the roof bar. The cage should be padded in areas where your body can impact and a helmet worn to reduce injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi All,

Thats a nice topic to pick our Forum  Mechanical Guru's Rahim Bhai  .... Barry when  you say that front strut brace ( the metal piece connecting both the sturt head ??) you mean these right ?

Image result for front strut brace

can this be done on a front IFS and rear spring plate SUV as I see it could be cost effective and is there a way to have braces for rear with leaf springs ?

Drive / Ride Safe !

Slick72

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, that is a strut brace.

It's generally for cars with a monocoque chassis on road and track. Ive never seen anything like that done on a 4x4 but then again I was never really into 4x4 before.