•  
Advertise here

Newbie/Fewbie drive with Suhoor - 22 June

11 hours ago, malav1210 said:

I'd like to join along with two other friends.

Malav 0564515999 (Land Cruiser)

Adnan 0551055386 (GMC Sierra) 

Murtuza 0554984470 (Land Cruiser)

Welcome @malav1210 and your friends... remember to carry 2 way radio Motorola MT777

Edited by Asif Hussain
  • Like (+1) 2

Looks like full house drive guys, I am gonna miss seeing so many new faces.

Please RSVP on the calendar as well.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@malav1210 very nice put by @Asif Hussain that it will be crucial to carry 2 way radios as I will be driving with 4 new members and my only support so far will be in the form of Sreekumar, Basel and Asif in case he makes up his mind to come. The area is not so challenging, but in the desert it is better to be well prepared.

Here is pics from my side.had a loving memorable Time...I will not be joining next few drives So I can reevaluate my ride maybe one drive is not just enough to know if your vehicle is up for the challenge but anyways thank you all for keeping in touch and inquiring till I got home...

IMG-20170624-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20170624-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20170624-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170624-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170624-WA0002.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

OMG! What a trip!

I just don't know where to start. Reached our all faithful Adnoc pump on Maliha Road for the reality to kick in hard on my back side. I was without the services of @Gaurav bhai and we were 10 vehicles, out of which I would be driving with 2 of them after a long time and 2 I have never driven with. Safety was paramount and I would like to thank @Asif Hussain who came all the way from Abu Dhabi to be my second lead. A round of applause for my hand-in hand buddy @skumar83 and his sister Wonder Woman who kept an eye on the convoy in the middle which was a different position for him. A huge hug for @baselsm83 who this time around volunteered for the sweep duties and did an excellent job. These 3 individuals put my mind at ease and kept good coordination throughout the drive so that I could concentrate on the route.

We had a briefing near the mosque in Mahafiz, deflated and headed out to some easy tracks. Before we knew it we were headed left of the pylon track into some easy dunes. Everyone performed well and they were sully aware about their rides which was good to know. Out of all @malav showed a huge improvement from the last time we had driven together. As per my habit I kept increasing the level of difficulty which everybody managed well. Everybody managed the terrain so well that I did not realize how soon we made it to the base of Fossil Rock, we all headed up and everyone was successful. As normal practice we got off and inspected the drop from Fossil Rocks which did not seem appropriate having to LWB trucks in the group. So safety first and we headed around the Fossil Rocks through some dunes to the power lines and headed down.

From here we were supposed to head towards Faya from the back side, but with plenty of time on hand for Suhoor, a bunch of capable people with awesome support I got carried away. I took a right 700 meters before Faya and wanted to play on the back side of Faya. Did I make a mistake, or was this fate? The soft sands means we had to toy around a bit and find a suitable means to get the convoy through. This meant that at one point @Asif Hussain had to back up and he ended up in a pocket, this needed a few very carefully planned tugs from the front towards the right to change the angle of the car which were well managed by Sreekumar. Then we needed one big tug from behind which was over-zealously done by Basel Bhai. With these efforts Asif Bhai's monster made its way out of the pocket and once again behind me to be my second lead. The next little adventure was to tackle a double bowl, in and out of one and in to the other. There was determination to conquer the same by all and eventually after some delay we were all able to make it.

Due to the shortage in time now we were forced to setup Suhoor at the high point behind Faya with a very pleasant breeze. This place was aptly named by everyone as the Suhoor Bowl, the most challenging part of your trip. There was plenty to share on the trip as usual and everyone was very generous in the quantity of food, The variety and taste also has to be mentioned here as we had another awesome lay, thanks to everyone. @shadow79 had the paan flying around which was a very welcome treat. After a very filling Suhoor and a quick Fajr prayer behind Asif Bhai we were packing up and planning the next round, which was the back side on the way up to Faya. Everyone reached on top with just me and Saleem Bhai crsted on top. Basel easily gave me a tug out and I gave a tug to Saleem. All cars on top of Fossil Rocks and Faya. There was only one hero on the day however, who was able to climb the front face of Faya without his monster truck breaking a single sweat. The champ was Adnan and his trusted GMC Sierra which made it to the top twice of the front face of Faya.

Just as we were about t say our goodbyes, Saleem who our drive was dedicated to along with his Rav4 had an issue. The gear oil was leak and the axel had broken. At this point we said our farewell to everyone and Sreekumar came to the rescue to pull it back to the track from where it was and I towed it out to the road from there. With the knowledge that the tow truck was on its way we headed out to the Adnoc pump just outside Mahafiz and Sreekumar and myself inflated our vehicles there. Malav, Adnan and their friends along with Asif bhai inflated close to the road. On a serious note an incident that keeps repeating in my mind is Saleem with his Rav4 flying from the dune very close to some cars parked behind the dunes. This could have been very serious as it was very sudden. I had warned Saleem earlier to follow the route set by me and not to break the convoy discipline. But this time he had chosen a route in which people and their cars were in harms way. Although I was standing out and guiding everyone, and everyone was following the convoy and managed the same route, Saleem was headed the way shown by me but last minute changed his mind and drove straight on the dune and jumped with sharp braking to avoid any damage to the cars parked behind. I know that Saleem has mentioned that he will not be coming for the next few drives, but from my side he is banned on any of my trips as he fails to understand the concept of a convoy and why we keep insisting that a convoy discipline should be maintained. I would like to thank everyone for their participation and looking forward to catch you guys soon.

• Like (+1) 2

Amazing trip report Rahim bhai, you actually made me feel as if I have attended the drive.

Too sad to hear another issue with Saleem's RAV4 and this time even more bad to see it going back on top of recovery truck after the drive. Really long learning curve. I fully support Rahim bhai decision as SAFETY is paramount in any of our drives and slight negligence or disobedience can cause major threat to other cars and drivers, let alone the inconvenience and delays.

It was so amazing and proud feeling that all of Carnity senior driver's have now graduated to support the drive independently. Big round of applause for Srikumar, Basel and Asif bhai for all the wonderful support and effort - well deserve.

It was good to see Malav joining back after long time with two of his friends and also nice to hear that Mr. GMC climbed the faya from front - good achievement.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.