•  
Advertise here

Here comes another mechanic head to favor the brotherhood. lololololol.

Where are end users like me and OP to favor the practicality and cost effectiveness.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

My tattoo is different. Mine says " I hate mechanics who can't rebuild engines to better than factory standard".

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldnt put in a second hand GCC engine unless I knew the car it came and the mileage and preferably some service history. Not some unknown junk engine lying in some yard.

Jap RHD import engines are just fine as they usually have very low mileage on them, usually around 40-80k kms and for Land Rovers I know the guy and he brings in whole cars and we see what shaoe and mileage the car was before parts are ripped out.

Ive also seen 100s of engines ripped apart and rebuilt without any issues. So Ill have to also disagree on that only the factory can put together a motor.

My own engine on the P38 has a tick for more than two years now, I know its a tappet and a common problem with the Rover V8. It does no harm so I have no issues leaving it as is. And if the engine does explode I know I can get a jap import replacement at a very cheap price hence no worried at all. 

I would cost a ton more to fix it too. Having said that. Im from the school of thought once youre in the engineedo as many bits and bobs while you are in there. Not easy to rip open a motor everyday. 

So in a nutshell nothing wrong with rebuilding an engine just because one person has a bad anecdotal experienxe doest mean its going to be the same for everyone

• Like (+1) 1

Stay away from opened engine, as who ever replaced it must be under some uncurable situation. If it's in the accidental car and you can verify kms as gaurav mentioned then it's your best than rebuilding it.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's another problem. If the engine is in a front cut and you can verify the kms, how do you know that's the original engine that came in the car? It could still be a higher km engine fitted because the original blew up. You have to remove the engine and clean it so you can read the serial number then ensure it corresponds with the vin. How many breakers will let you do that? It's not always easy to get an engine in a front cut either. Front cuts take up space and space is at a premium for the breakers. Engines are ripped out and stacked as soon as possible. Then the breaker can tell you however many kms you want to hear. I worked in a breakers yard for 5 years and every engine we sold had done 70k. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Barry said:

Here's another problem. If the engine is in a front cut and you can verify the kms, how do you know that's the original engine that came in the car? It could still be a higher km engine fitted because the original blew up. You have to remove the engine and clean it so you can read the serial number then ensure it corresponds with the vin. How many breakers will let you do that? It's not always easy to get an engine in a front cut either. Front cuts take up space and space is at a premium for the breakers. Engines are ripped out and stacked as soon as possible. Then the breaker can tell you however many kms you want to hear. I worked in a breakers yard for 5 years and every engine we sold had done 70k. 

How do I know its a real person who wrote this and not some bot !!!! Sometimes to you got to put some faith in some people or you'll go through life a paranoid basket case. I know what I'm talking about because I know someone like that and he doesn't trust anybody with anything.

I have a great scrappie. He gets whole cars from Japan, and break them right there in his shop. Plus I know he wont buy local cars for breaking and he refuses to buy them. 

And sometimes you have to do have to take some people for their word. if you are going to be so paranoid in one's life, probably end up in the cuckoo house! 

Its a good idea to build up a good relation with your parts supplier and scrappy.  

• Like (+1) 1

Totally agree with adil and desertdude, that you can get half cut cars with engine intact. I have seen many afghani scrappy keeping those intact to prove the engine worth. Also desertdude rightly mention to stay away from local (khaleeji) engines as 99% they are cooked already.

Japan imports is awesome. BTW my Pajero is running Japan import engine, which barry rebuilt from top head for replacing the leaking valve and now it's almost as good as new climbing iftar bowl and faya from front.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.