•  
Advertise here

Work around ideas to convert AWD into 4x4

ok now i would like to forward some eye opening information here then rahim bhai exactly how many awds have you seen burning on the roads or anywhere bet i have seen more range rovers nissans and the correct count is 6 till now...and burning cars is usually a mistake of people itself or the place where they take their cars for service. its basically a user error..

now coming to the next point can you show me other then military grade vehicles i don't think other use any protection under the vehicles exactly none actually you only need a plate at most at departure angles and approach angles apart from that its just plain weight hauling...

alright next coming to our beloved transmission coolers did you know that every production car other than manual gears come with transmission coolers its a must or else the oil grinded between those clutches at peak heat time and high speed would be slipping it just a matter of size some are just air cooled some are water cooled and in some cases its passes through both...

now coming to the point of dependable and or proper 4x4 as gaurav bhai likes to put it then i am afraid not even one vehicle in that drive we have has a proper 4x4 the right meaning of proper 4x4 is regardless of any wheel losing traction all wheels must revolve at the same speed that's where the central locks the transfer case and both front and rear differential locks the shaft with the axles so it doesn't matter that any wheel is up it still in most cases should be rolling at most maybe 1 or 2 cars there might have only a rear differential lock but most of the cars we have in the drives are basically 6 cylinder awds..if you really want to test it then i will get the floor jack and lift the vehicle from one side and lets see how many would be able to move while both side one wheels are up in the air.

and in the end rav being used for desert safaris rav has only 2 and half seat in the rear and even the front seats are not that cousy and the safary people are selling an experience and illusion of desert dwelling it would be in their best interest if that experience is sold with luxury in mind

there will always be something better then what you have but its not wise to be the one who jumps the boat first...

now lets talk about experience what you absorb by seeing is never an experience maybe only a part of it might be but never fully accurate 

i work at the workshop i get my hands on many cars here both on road and off road from a merc wagon to a suzuki jimmy every car is unique and has its own perks as i get them to know from inside out.it would be lovely if we had this discussion with more facts then stories

and i am technically inclined and a practical so my understanding is if something is having the same fault again and again then i am not improving and looking at the wrong place to fix..i hope this helps to separate the facts from the opinions and people here get to learn something new as learning is a phase which never ends...:-D:-D:-D

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, shadow79 said:

if you really want to test it then i will get the floor jack and lift the vehicle from one side and lets see how many would be able to move while both side one wheels are up in the air.

That is why proper off-road vehicles have torque distribution systems to lock the spinning wheel(s).

Thank god, you started writing with full stops, commas and paragraph now to make my head spin less.

Somehow I still fail to understand what was that long post made for to justify "other cars aren't better than RAV4" or "RAV4 stand equally to any 4x4"

Either case read below two advices and hope it will help you understand the things better:

In end leave all theory, mechanism, or power band aside and put RAV4 to real test with any so-called 4x4 cars:

• Hill climb without momentum
  • Soft sand crawling - self recovery
  • Drag a dead weight
  • Side sloping
  • Ridge riding

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I have to agree with Gaurav here. You wrote a lot but said very little. So I really also dont have the foggiest idea what you are trying to say?

Like I already mentioned you can drive your Rav4 anywhere you like and Ive seen people do that on a regular basis, so there is nothing wrong there.

Yes we all understand how diffs work making all 4x4 AWD. The problem is your quest to have three locking diffs and a transfer case with a low ratio fitted on the rav4 sounds very expensive and impractical. Youll spend a lot of money trying ti jury rig it and it still wont work the way a 4x4 that came built that way would. 

You'll need to somehow fit a transfer case  into a front wheel drive engine. Then set up the linkage to engage it. Then youll need design and machine lockable diffs front and back and then design a engineer a way to lock them.

Or you can save your self a ton of headache and money and buy a ready made 4x4 and install aftermarket diff locks front and rear like the ones you get from ARB.

At the end of the day its your time and money do as you please with it. Do let us know when you develop a rav 4 solid axels with diff locks front and rear with a low range transfer box. ;)

• Like (+1) 3

its something the english teacher couldnt but you gave idea about gaurav bhai:-D

all cars have its own place it has been hauling me from place A to place B all this time

and all those points have been done one time or other during the drives with you gaurav bhai :-D

and desert dude i have not gone cucu :-D that i will start from ground up...i have mentioned earlier cheap and portable and effective way to shift power from the free spinning wheel to other wheels...and i am doing my research there and inshallah soon something will pop up....and if you guys have any input in this spectrum i will gladly lend a ear:-D

2 hours ago, treks said:

That is why proper off-road vehicles have torque distribution systems to lock the spinning wheel(s).

i am not talking about those LSDs even those wont give you 1:1 revolutions on any differentials

Edited by shadow79
more info
  • Like (+1) 1

@shadow79 have to give you marks for persistence. Some people like to burn their fingers to realize what a burning sensation is, and you are adamant in your ways. I would gladly take a Suzuki Jimny on my trips, because they are proper 4x4, they might be under powered, but their power to weight ratio might put better 4x4 to shame.

@desertdude and @Gaurav bhai you might remember Rehan (Psycho) who had a Suzuki Jimny, he used to travel to UK every time to get mods for it as they were not available here at that time. He used to be all over in the desert like a bee and whenever he got stuck we would just push it over.

@desertdude I am still in touch with Fayette, she is in UK and travelling all over the world. We used to call her Rav4 the little red ant, however her Rav4 was the older model which I felt was so much better in the desert than the newer ones, but she once came to Area 53 and Faya with us and was getting stuck every 5 minutes. Thus the rule of the trip leader being able to choose the convoy to make sure that the trip is smooth and enjoyable to all.

@Rahimdad its something in my blood i am a baloch :-D once i think if it can be done then i try my best to do with it even if its the last thing its gonna be doing....

2 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

@Rahimdad its something in my blood i am a baloch :-D once i think if it can be done then i try my best to do with it even if its the last thing its gonna be doing....

Then consider having 5 liters of blood transfusion will be lot cheaper than doing reverse engineering on poor RAV4. Just kidding.

@Gaurav bhai have you ever driven this thing in the desert...or even better the forthcoming drive is of fewbie why don't you lead with the rav4 this time...that way you will come to get the groove firsthand then...:-D

8 minutes ago, shadow79 said:

@Gaurav bhai have you ever driven this thing in the desert...or even better the forthcoming drive is of fewbie why don't you lead with the rav4 this time...that way you will come to get the groove firsthand then...:-D

Thanks Saleem for the offer and I know for sure RAV4 can't cope up for first 10 minutes in sweihan. 

Just FYI, I have driven most of the dinkiest car in off-road including RAV4, Jimny, vitara, pajero io, daihatsu terios, renault duster etc.