•  
Advertise here

Work around ideas to convert AWD into 4x4

18 minutes ago, hAwX said:

this time i think im ready to get dirty and sandy! xD

Well this time my car is not in...it comes In awd catagory....as only has center dif lock so where ever a wheel is lifted the car is a sitting duck...but its just a matter of time until I develop a mechanism which will lock the wheel then it will surely be a true 4wd with front and rear dif locks....and anyways don't worry just hop on I am sure the guys here will accommodate you as your passenger happily :-D

Edited by shadow79
More information
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, shadow79 said:

Well this time my car is not in...it comes In awd catagory....as only has center dif lock so where ever a wheel is lifted the car is a sitting duck...but its just a matter of time until I develop a mechanism which will lock the wheel then it will surely be a true 4wd with front and rear dif locks....and anyways don't worry just hop on I am sure the guys here will accommodate you as your passenger happily :-D

Here you go my friend, full time locked differential for the price of a handful of welding rods. 

I've had a couple of cars with the rear diff welded. It has its good points and bad points. Good points, you can drift in something with low power. Bad points, it's prone to understeer on corners then sudden oversteer when you're not ready, it's a nightmare to park, your wheel will go eek eek eek when you're reversing into a space and people will stare at you. Good point, you can drift.

Im sure you could also engineer a solution with a brake bias valve mounted beside the handbrake to lock either the front or rear wheels with the foot brake. It will let you do huge burnouts too. If you want to get really creative you could use 4 solenoid actuated valves, one for each wheel and put some buttons on the dashboard.

There are ways and means, it just depends how much time, effort and money you want to put in.

• Like (+1) 1

What car do you have? All modern and some older cars come in AWD or fulltime 4x4 Even the newer Land Cruisers and Nissan Patrols. And you have a center difflock button or gearstick. And majority dont come with center and front difflocks as standard features, some with only rear difflocks. 

Other wise they are AWD. And they too become sitting ducks if one lifts off. 

Then you can use what is know ad the poor mans ( look it )

Probably cheaper buy a proper 2nd 4x4 with a little more grunt. Than setting up a transfer case and all in what is basically a front wheel drive, with a torsen diff. 

But even then you wont get lockable front and rear diffs. Id say look for a full spec 80series which comes with difflocks. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, desertdude said:

Probably cheaper buy a proper 2nd 4x4 with a little more grunt.

Word of wisdom.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

After 60 or 80 it goes from all wheels for front wheel drive and to drive continuously at that speed in desert can be hazardous and the transfer case while transferring force from transmission breaks it into a lower ratio increasing the torque and the best of the best production car offers 73:1 mind you its also manual gear and top of the line in off road and coming to a fj cruiser  its 41.82:1 see the difference but I know almost everyone here will agree that fj is one of the best off road thing here in the scene...and pointing that a rav4 is as a corolla is just as saying a fish to climb a tree...so what's the point in if you have a Rubicon and yet don't know the tricks of sand....it basically is always the driver which makes the true difference...

• Like (+1) 1

@shadow79 although I would like to agree partly with you when you say the driver makes a big difference, but that difference always comes from experience. Once you have started on the wrong foot it is very difficult to correct yourself. We do not support an AWD in the desert or rocks for several reason. The main focus is on safety as I have seen a few AWD burst into flames, break things under the chassis due to no proper protection, no transmission cooler, and not a dependable 4x4 system. If the tour companies  could take a RAV4 or similar to the desert and save costs, they would not spend so much money on Land Cruisers and the likes. As per my experience I would not allow an AWD on my trips again. 

Yes its always the driver. Ive driven a 88 4cyl pathfinder with a leaking fuel line almost everywhere. But trying to fit a square peg into a round hole really isnt too wise.

Cars like Rav4s ans CRVs really wernt made for heavy offloading. Maybe a gravel track here and there, some fun on the beach.

Not saying this cant be done as a former member at another club which Gaurav Im sure remembers. Fayette use to take her 4dr auto Rav 4 everywhere too.

But dropping some serious coin to turn a RaV4 something its not really isnlt worth it. As suggested put in a little more and get a proper used 4x4. 

With the current market situation, its a buyers market out there.

And no I don't agree Fatima Jasim is the "best offroader" out there. Its just a 2dr body on a LWB prado rolling chasis with horrible visibility all around and a fuel tank the size of a small masafi bottle.

A SWB 6cyl Prado will run cricles around it all day lomg

And if you really want something tough get a Bu Shanab. 

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1