•  
Advertise here

Work around ideas to convert AWD into 4x4

Just now, Gaurav said:

Thanks Saleem for the offer and I know for sure RAV4 can't cope up for first 10 minutes in sweihan. 

Just FYI, I have driven most of the dinkiest car in off-road including RAV4, Jimny, vitara, pajero io, daihatsu terios, renault duster etc.

not this one the one on 13th..?

Well if you just partial locking ability like most modern 4wds have with traction control which they use instead of a locking diff. Then set up a manual brake lever for each individual tyre. A modification of the poor mans diff as I mentioned earlier. Like most professional drift cars and some rally cars have, a lever to engage the rear tyres to start a drift or get around hairpin bends in a hurry.

But honestly I still dont see the point i.e not worth the effort And does the rav4 even have proper diffs up front and rear that can transfer power ?

I would rather uprade to a car more suited for off-road use

OR you could just weld the spider gears in the diffs and drive around with a locked car 24/7. Just dont curse your self making U turns or trying park in tight spaces and be prepared to snap an axel or two in the near future.

desert dude don't worry i break it and then i make it that's the way it goes...:-D

i agree upgrade is must but till then i have to work out with what i have and make best use of the situation...so rav is not going anywhere soon...:-D

Then go for mods that will actually help you without reinventing the wheel. Maybe some engine upgrades, like, CAI, exhaust maybe even a remap. Better suspension more suited for offroad use, better tyres etc etc. 

If you want to go all out get a stroker kit or bore out the cylinders or maybe even swap out the motor for something with more oomph if there is a compatible engine.

2 hours ago, shadow79 said:

not this one the one on 13th..?

That's why gave her 10 minutes, regular one will last 5 min only.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

6 hours ago, shadow79 said:

its something the english teacher couldnt but you gave idea about gaurav bhai:-D

all cars have its own place it has been hauling me from place A to place B all this time

and all those points have been done one time or other during the drives with you gaurav bhai :-D

and desert dude i have not gone cucu :-D that i will start from ground up...i have mentioned earlier cheap and portable and effective way to shift power from the free spinning wheel to other wheels...and i am doing my research there and inshallah soon something will pop up....and if you guys have any input in this spectrum i will gladly lend a ear:-D

i am not talking about those LSDs even those wont give you 1:1 revolutions on any differentials

So we live and learn, but I was really under the impression that the front and rear diffs on off road vehicles rotate at the same speed, i.e., 1:1.

On 7/1/2017 at 2:35 PM, shadow79 said:

I m thinking something far simpler and portable like some way of locking the free spinning wheel...that way the power will be shifted to other wheels....:-D

Bro check this out searched the net for you 

20170705_004116.png

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, treks said:

So we live and learn, but I was really under the impression that the front and rear diffs on off road vehicles rotate at the same speed, i.e., 1:1.

only the really old ones had them but there was issues turning and other things so they were discontinued and after that they just have been selling dreams...

1 minute ago, Ren13 said:

20170705_004116.png

really thanks for the input....

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ren13 said:

20170705_004116.png

Sorry if I am wrong...but will this reduce the effective ground clearance and cause the damage to the additional system in off road?