•  
Advertise here

Buying a used Range Rover Sport SC 2012

Hello Friends

Recently I came across some good Range Rover sports SC 2012 model with around 100 k kilometers on the odometer. I wasn't exactly looking for a range, but when I saw the cars up close, I was really attracted to them. But I had heard  about the suspension failure sky-high parts prices and the like. Since I do not personally know anyone who is driving a sport 2012 from whom I can take opinion, thought of asking the forum. Is it advisable to go for a used one of 2012 with 100 k kms and full service history. How much does an average service cost?  Are there good alternatives to Al Tayer service centre. Also are the parts easily available in the.. 😀 Sharjah market. What are the major expensive parts replacements that I can expect? 

Lot of questions, your advices will be of great help 

Thanks

HSD

Before our resident mechanics come and scare the living daylights out of you, and force you to buy a 1990 corolla as a "safe bet" I say go for it, suspension parts are not all that expensive anymore, were when air suspension was a new thing, now almost all luxury cars have it, there are even places that will redo your air spring with a new bladder for as little as 500dhs a corner. And Land Rover has learned a lot about air suspension reliability since the 1990s and its not that common anymore, something that gave LR a bad name in the 90s as unreliable cars. I know three cars now model year 2002 ( 1st year the L322 generation LR came out ) still riding on original air bags which it came out of the factory ) but like tyres they are made of rubber and will eventually need to be replaced. Another thing is the air compressor for the air suspension failure, which is usually a few cheap fix, garages here will instantly tell you to get a new air compressor i,e $$$$ but its just the piston ring that gets worn out and you can order one from ebay for as little as $10 and its an easy non greasy and getting DIY fix. I even have a cheaper fix which will cost you a grand total of 2dhs, no thats not a typo and I kid you not.  

Sharjah has now atleast half a dozen parts shop dealing exclusively with Land Rover parts, which sell original as well as aftermarket parts at very reasonable prices, there are also a couple of Land Rover scrap yards and bits and bobs are plenty. 

Although I myself prefer the full size range rover the sports is my second choice, and the SC goes likes the clappers, be ready to see a lot of cars eating your dust in the rear view mirror.

The Jaguar derived V8 is a solid tried and tested motor and you can put another 200k on it without worrying much if you just keep regular with the services. 

Just take care of the engine services and make sure to service the transmission at 100k, with a complete fluid flush and new gear filter and be 1000% of sure of putting in the right fluid as it does not like anything else. Don't trust the service history even if its says its been done. Just go ahead and do it anyways. The oil is a bit pricey starting from 30 to 100dhs per liter depending where you buy it from. 

Saluki in Al Qouz run by Mark Powell is a pretty good garage and they know their Land Rovers and so does Capital Auto also in Al Qouz. Avoid AAA and A2B

• Like (+1) 2

Many Thanks to you @desertdude. for such a super detailed reply to all my queries. Glad that I asked in this forum. Now the LC V8 is slowly fading in mind and Range is getting more clear. But Pls let me know how much does an average 10 k kms service costs in these garages. FYI So far I had been driving Japanese SUV and the maintenance costs was negligible. 

I really wouldn't know as I usually do them myself or at a friends place, a service is what, oil and filter replacement, air filter cleaning or changing. Checking up on coolant and top up if needed. See if any hoses, pipes or belts need change, slide under the car to see all's well. 

Filter original costs around 50-60 dhs you can get aftermarket for 35. I put in synthetic oil at 120 per gallon, you can use any good synthetic oil with in the 40-50w range and even 30w in the winter months. although I think LR recommends castrol. , air filter was also around 60. Diluted coolant was around 35. belts and all, all under or around a 100 each, the most expensive thing i found was a paper gasket for the transmission pan with was 100 dhs, just for a piece of paper cut in shape! The gear oil filter itself was around 50. Anyways the sport SC doesn't have that, the filter is built into the pan and you replace the entire thing, not too pricey either. 

Once you drive a Range Rover, you'll forget Cruisers and Patrols, because literally nothing rides like a Range Rover. After a decade of driving Land Cruisers, around 10 yrs ago I got my first Range Rover and now I literally don't like anything else I drive, totally spoilt now !

I would also strongly recommend you get one of these 
http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoftus/allproducts/landroverscantools/2012/201212/20121229123158a6ef0_1.html
You can get one from ebay for around $150 and will save you a lot of headache, heartache and holes in your wallets if you end up with monkeys who don't have a clue whats gone wrong with the ride and just keep throwing expensive parts at it. 

Plus it can reset quite a lot of systems if you ever get stuck in a situation, like your suspension freezes for whatever reason, ( and it will tell you exactly whats wrong, so you can get to the heart of the problem right away instead of aforementioned monkey trial and error method, that alone is worth it

• Like (+1) 2

@desertdude Many thanks again!!! Thats a whole lot of information. The passion you have for Range Rovers seems to be extremely contageous!! Now let me start my Range Rover search in full swing!!! Many thanks Again. Have a great Week ahead. 

I won't give my opinion on range rovers as I have done many times so if you search the site, you will find it. The only one good thing about range rovers, they are comfortable. Everything else I have to say is bad. 

I can recommend gulf stars in Sharjah as being very competitive on parts prices and they have a free delivery service. Don't worry, after a few months of ownership, you will know everyone in all the parts shops on a first name basis. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HSD said:

@desertdude Many thanks again!!! Thats a whole lot of information. The passion you have for Range Rovers seems to be extremely contageous!! Now let me start my Range Rover search in full swing!!! Many thanks Again. Have a great Week ahead. 

My only advice would be if you want to get the complete Range Rover experience then go for the what us commonly known as the Full Fat Range Rover and not the Sport, go for the end of the line of the L322 shape, i,e 2012. Supercharged or non supercharged is up to you, if you like fasts beasts then the Super Charged. Although even the normally aspirated RR is no slow coach either. 

By the end of the production run of any car all known bugs are pretty much sorted out and its pretty solid and Land Rover usually like to thrown in all the bells and whistles in the last year for an any generation last production run. They did that with the Classic in 1995 and the P38 in 2002, not 100% sure about the 2012.

I say test drive all four ( RR, RRSC, RRS, RRS-SC ) and pick the one you like best and then hunt for that one and buy the best one you can afford. 

Its a good time to be buying cars in this economic downturn and a very slow and sluggish new and used car market, so don't be afraid to negotiate a deal 

• Like (+1) 1

to me personally, i think people dont prefer range rovers or any luxury brands because they are LAZY to get it fixed once it breaks and is AFRAID of the labor charges. I wish i had the storage and space to do-it-myself some of the works which could have avoided $$$$ on labor charges so far. but my flat is full and basement parking is packed as well. I agree with @desertdude on everything while i agree with @Barry too. Things break but right now its not a problem anymore.... I discovered the scrapyard like 2 weeks ago and i was amazed at the amount of parts they had for the cars you name it. If you dont know anyone there, they will try to rip you off... Range rovers are soo comfortable that anyone who drive it will get spoilt.. true that. Also i think they drink the most fuel which shouldn't be a problem here in UAE... If you are a good sport and prefer something spicy than normal cars (like me lol), THEN GO FOR IT.. Also find a good friend (mechanic) [which i haven't found yet] 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I won't give my opinion on range rovers as I have done many times so if you search the site, you will find it. The only one good thing about range rovers, they are comfortable. Everything else I have to say is bad. 

I can recommend gulf stars in Sharjah as being very competitive on parts prices and they have a free delivery service. Don't worry, after a few months of ownership, you will know everyone in all the parts shops on a first name basis. 

:) Thanks for the opinion Barry. Will look for your previous posts. 

2 hours ago, desertdude said:

My only advice would be if you want to get the complete Range Rover experience then go for the what us commonly known as the Full Fat Range Rover and not the Sport, go for the end of the line of the L322 shape, i,e 2012. Supercharged or non supercharged is up to you, if you like fasts beasts then the Super Charged. Although even the normally aspirated RR is no slow coach either. 

By the end of the production run of any car all known bugs are pretty much sorted out and its pretty solid and Land Rover usually like to thrown in all the bells and whistles in the last year for an any generation last production run. They did that with the Classic in 1995 and the P38 in 2002, not 100% sure about the 2012.

I say test drive all four ( RR, RRSC, RRS, RRS-SC ) and pick the one you like best and then hunt for that one and buy the best one you can afford. 

Its a good time to be buying cars in this economic downturn and a very slow and sluggish new and used car market, so don't be afraid to negotiate a deal 

Will try out all the versions. And true that, this is the best time to buy cars in used market as long as you have cash in your pocket. Thank you for the detailed advises.