•  
Advertise here

Toyota FJ Cruiser vs Nissan Xterra

Posting this for my friend to help him choose and decide which one is all rounder and better for desert: Toyota FJ Cruiser or Nissan Xterra.

He will be buying 2-4 years old used model (60-80k AED), so kindly advise accordingly. Thanks in advance guys, have a good day.

Cars My passion :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

If you like my above post, please press Like / Thanks on right side to help me increase my rating

All rounder AND better for the desert is an oxymoron. This implies both cars are good all rounder but which one is better for the desert.

The previous generation of Pathfinders were good allrounders, pretty good in the desert and good on the road specially if you have a family or value cargo space. I had a friend who bought one new and used it as his daily driver and weekend warriror all the way up tp 300k kms without any real issues.

Even with its very poor visibility all round the FJ is more geared towards off road use. Rear seats and entry is pathetic so not a good family ride. 

I would suggest to look for a 2door VX 6 cyl Prado instead of the FJ a much better car and off road performer. A FJ is basically a LWB 4dr prado underneath with a FJ body on top anyways. 

P.S: Pathfinder talked about here is not to be confused with the current generation of gay egg shaped FWD ugly as fek Pathfinder

• Like (+1) 1

They both are equally good in off-road, where as Xterra will be better for road more as it's spacious and offer easy access to rear passengers than FJC. Suggest your friend Pajero 3.8, can be lot cheaper and amazing in desert with little front and rear bumper modification.

Prado is also good in offroad, but not for regular offroading as it comes with way too many electronics these days and will cost much to maintain after a while.

Pajero sport, Fortuner 4.0 are few other options to consider.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Personally not a fam of Pajeros at all. Nothing wrong with thenm but just feel bland with no character or soul. 

As for the Montero and Fortuner I would rather suggest buy the original pick up variants The Hilux and Mitsu L200. Even with all the refinement still feel like you are driving a pickup! Atleast with the pickups you wont be fooling yourself you are not in a pretend SUV :D

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks guys for your valuable tips, my friend is specifically looking for 4 door car with 5 seats as he has two kids and wife. This car should be mostly used on road and weekend on offroad but it should perform good for dune bashing and not just wadi crawler suv. My friend didnt like pajero, patrol and cruiser as they are way too common and he is looking for something less common ride to be little different. video above is really nice, tempt me to start offroad too.

Cars My passion :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

If you like my above post, please press Like / Thanks on right side to help me increase my rating

• 3 weeks later...

@amid I have realized one thing, that the less common rides are more expensive to repair and the more common ones are the ones which can be easily and cheaply repaired. If you are looking for an old vehicle I am also a huge fan of Toyota Prado, but not the VXR which is cramped with new technology which fails and is expensive to repair, but a V6 4.0 is must. The X-Terra Off-road version is a very good option. Never liked the FJ Cruiser, not good for family with half doors, restricted parking spaces like the mall make it next to impossible for the rear passengers to get in and out of the FJ. Pajero 3.8 V6 is a good option in 2014 model for both on and off-road, although a little plate to protect the rear bumper and trimming of the front bumper is compulsory for off-road use.