•  
Advertise here

Seeking advice to purchase my off road vehicle

manums

Dear all,

I have been following this group for the past 10 months and I was lucky enough to float over the sands of UAE with the great carnity team. Needless to say, I fell in love with the off roading. I was eagerly waiting to get my license and as I received it, the next step is to get myself a proper 4x4. Myself I am not a big technical geek when it comes to the automobile field and I am learning. About the car, it will be my first car as well. I really don't want to spend a lot of money on the car. (I will be having company car for the normal commute.) It would be the best if it comes under 10k.

Please help me out here:

Which are the possible options for me (brand, model etc)?

What would be the average maintenance cost I would face? ( It differs with model to model and I am asking just to get an idea)? 

I guess the vehicle at this price would be a really old one and probably the odometer would have crossed 400k, would it be a correct choice?

Thanks to team carnity once again 

I have just been doing some research as well for a separate offroad vehicle and in this budget you might get the following ;

1. Nissan Pathfinder (2001 - 2004). Try to get the 3.5 L version.

2. Jeep Cherokee 4.0 IL (1996 - 2001) at this price level with lower km done.

3. Pajero 3.5 / 3.8 (till 2003 model). If possible try to get the SWB.

Regarding maintenance I think the parts of the first 2 options might be more cheaper to get than No. 3

Further, what I have understood from everyone is that Summer is a good time to buy the car  as in winter with increased off-roading, 4x4 prices tend to increase.

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Jeeps are simple to work on. They're like Lego.

...and they look like a pile of Lego blocks as well.

But unfortunately when compared to the other two options the Sheep is a better option. 

Personally I would go for Discovery Series I in that price range but I know people dont like them and have all sorts of mythical stories and misconceptions about them.

22 hours ago, desertdude said:

But unfortunately when compared to the other two options the Sheep is a better option. 

Personally I would go for Discovery Series I in that price range but I know people dont like them and have all sorts of mythical stories and misconceptions about them.

Yeah I have heard a lot about the range rovers which is not so good. So if possible please do break the myths and misconceptions. :)

He's talking about a discovery, not a Range Rover. They're a lot simpler with less to go wrong. The biggest problem with them is rust but I doubt that's much of a problem in the gulf climate. 

IMG_0939.JPG

Thanks @Barry yes I was talking about the Land Rover Discovery and not the Range Rover, and no rust really isn't an issue here.

Also that pic posted is of a Series II Discovery. I was specific about a Series I. I guess to a lot of people they look the same. 

1998_landrover_discovery_4dr-suv_le_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

Important Information

Terms of use