•  
Advertise here

A good turbo build?

27 minutes ago, Barry said:

The timing belt broke because of too much boost? That's something I've never seen in my life and I can't find any case studies on it. If I had to put money on it, I'd say the belt was already past it's best and was ready to snap anyway. Plenty of evos out there running 400+ bhp with standard timing belts. 

Well that's what I have heard from @Gaurav long ago. I am not sure what's the age of vehicle or condition of timing belt.

To me, it sounds more like the habtoor techs wanted to have a dig at the customer than a valid explanation for what happened. Once you modify anything these guys have you in a barrel and the modifications will always get blamed for anything that fails. 

• Like (+1) 1

Yes guys, it's true that one of my close friend's EVO timing chain (not belt) snapped but not due to excessive boost but due to oil jets broke off and lodged in between the chain. Tuner finding was it may be the oil quality or level might not be optimum. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@treks @Barry @desertdudeThank you for all the response.

@Derick It is all  good. Thanks also.

I hope i can be more detailed. 

I am actually looking for something that will hold 5-7 psi and get me to around 300 hp(sounds too much?). The engine is totally rebuilt. The car made 205 on base. Ecu reflashed and chipped to 217 hp. the mechanic said that the car is good for 450 hp. I understand all the basics of forced induction. Now why I said a used turbo is because they are out of cars that had an accident or other fault so the turbo is still in a good condition and also made for daily driving so not easy to have a shaft play or anything of that sort. They are aimed at reliability and a lot of good tuners recommend those (turbos from junkyards) for small amounts of boost and daily driving(just what I am looking for). About the power, it is not more than enough especially for those sand hills. You needn't worry about me learning to drive, I am comfortable with the car. Although, it is not like I am gonna turbo just tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

"About the power, it is not more than enough especially for those sand hills" 

People who know me, know this is true. So I'm not just making this up

Earlier my profession was that of a Desert Safari guide, which I did for almost a decade, and used the same car you are thinking off, first was a 2000 GXR LC100 series with a manual transmission and later a 2003 LC 2003 with an Auto,So I know these cars pretty well and big part of my day was spent driving them and on off days in the shop with them,  fully loaded with 6 pax, full two tanks of fuel and very basic suspension modification ( heavy duty coil in the rear and torqued stock torsion bars up front )  it had still enough power to go everywhere and I drove in almost every desert patch in this country from Liwa to Khatim.

Also mind you these were not bought brand new off the showroom floor, but bought second on the cheap with over 100k kms on the clock, never opened stock engine with not even a CAI or modded exhaust.  

So to answer your question, yes it does have enough power.

• Like (+1) 3