•  
Advertise here

A good turbo build?

Hello,

New user. I am not new to the car world but just underage (17). Soon I'll be able to do some stuff on the car.

My god I have a lot of questions. First of all, I checked on ebay turbo kits and they give decent power but a lot of negativity on it's reliabilty.

I have heard you can find a decent 2jz in a Sharjah scrapyard for about 1200 dirhams(heard could be wrong). So i was thinking making a visit to one of those scrapyards would find me a good reliable turbo (out of a toyota or a nissan or any jdm car) making decent boost(cuz lets see im not rich and not looking for a thousand horsepower). The car will be my daily with some off road trips. So what would be the cost of a used turbocharger and where would I find it? Also there is the thing of the manifold cuz it is a 6-2-1 and the pipes join really low (under the car, not a suitable place for a turbo). I looked at a turbo manifold and it was 5000 dhs!!!! way out of budget. So where and how much would it cost to get yours fabricated?

Toyota LandCruiser 2001 gxr v6

• Like (+1) 1

It isn't that easy and "practical" as it sounds in theory. If it was, no one will buy expensive fast cars and keep adding turbo to lancer, yaris and tiida's. Adding turbo to a non turbo car is very risky as all items in the car is design to work under certain limitation and adding trbo horsepower will def go exceeds critical engine parts limitation. For adding turbo, you have to modify lot many engine parts, exhaust parts, cooling, brakes, differential etc. Even if you spend 20k to replace all parts to fit 1200 dhs turbo then RTA will fail your car as its a risk to you adn other road users as car might explode anytime.

• Like (+1) 3

Ok, 

@desertdude I will be doing soon.

@Derick I was expecting help and not negativity. You are discouraging me from doing something that is not impossible and really common in UAE. I agree it isn't practical. People won't add turbo to a yaris or a tiida because first they were not built for boost and second who would really won't to do it to a yaris or some car. People use a yaris only for transport(mainly) because it is economical. You add a turbo only to a car that you love. And for adding a turbo you not always need to modify engine parts and in my case you don't need to change a single parts. A dyno tune in the end will be satisfactory. And PS I'm inheriting the car from my father which is already register and they don't do through car inspection while renewing registration (if they do it isn't a pain to remove a small turbo kit). Car might explode anytime! damn those all other arab dudes must be lucky to be alive right. You seem to have less knowledge about cars (no offense). But please try to follow me.

I want to know if and where and for how much can i get them turbo parts? I did not ask how to turbo.

Thank you very much.

Your first mistake is wanting to use a used turbo. Your second mistake is not wanting to buy an engine that is designed to work with forced induction, and fitting that entire engine into the car you are inheriting. Your third mistake is wanting to turbo charge something that does not need it.

Edited by treks
  • Like (+1) 2

Dude, a land cruiser already has more than enough power for a teen who can't even drive on the roads legally yet. First of all what you want to do is illegal and a fine-able offence so don't expect too much help on an open forum and secondly Derick is correct, all those "arab dudes" you are talking about spend small fortunes and countless hours in garages modifying their cars, a lot of trial and error is also involved with a lot of blown engines, transmissiosn etc etc. If only if it were that easy by just slapping on a junked turbo from a scrapyard. 

I wouldn't even let my kid have something like a land cruiser as a first car, I'd let him ding about in a jap ecobox for a year or so to learn the ropes and get a few fender benders out of the way first before getting him something halfway decent.

So my sincere advise, 1st get a license, then learn how to drive and get comfortable with it and then maybe, just maybe even think about mods like turbos and sh!t. An over enthusiastic kid who grew up play Gran Turismo and Forza, already talking about boosting a car he cannot even drive yet, you know is not going to end well. 

Too many kids already dying or ending up crippled on the roads here already because of their love for speed who end up driving car with way more power they can handle, so think real hard if you want to become just another statistic 

• Like (+1) 3

It's not as simple as just removing the turbo come testing time. There's manifolds (intake and exhaust), oil lines, air pipes, exhaust, induction system and the ecu will have to be flashed back to standard map. It's no small job. If you're going to use wasta to get it passed, it's probably not a good idea to mention it on a public forum as a lot of people could lose their jobs. Passing aside, remember the police will pull you over and take your car if they suspect it's been modified in any way. Turbo whistle, not to mention an intercooler hanging out the front bumper is a dead giveaway.

If you want a small turbo without modifying the engine, it's pretty pointless as you can only run maybe 7-8 psi before you start problems. Far easier just to fit a 50 shot of nitrous for short bursts up dunes. 

Read this and you'll have a better understanding of how turbocharging actually works, then you can ask more relevant questions,

• Like (+1) 3

Im sorry if I may have sounded negative to you, but I was trying to help you in a way to raise few red flags on your proposed idea. I know a person who modified EVO to increase hp by 25% and 4 months later timing belt broke and Habtoor found the reason to be because of excessive boost. If LC is delivering 240 hp in stock state then all of it's component has been design to support that be it engine internal components or ancillary components. Secondly you also need to factor the current age of vehicle is already 16 years old and by now all parts are already running weak to barely support 240 hp let alone if you exceed, you will open big can of worms. Thirdly even if somehow you did everything right, then the chances of car will die / explode on first few push onroad or offroad as UAE heat is really extreme factor that you need to consider for 16 years old engineering + turbo boost. Hope you listen to experienced people advices here, as life is too short to learn from your own mistake.

To your actual question: You can buy turbo from Ramy trading in dubai, Golden sun in sharjah. For used parts I dont know.

• Like (+1) 2

The timing belt broke because of too much boost? That's something I've never seen in my life and I can't find any case studies on it. If I had to put money on it, I'd say the belt was already past it's best and was ready to snap anyway. Plenty of evos out there running 400+ bhp with standard timing belts. 

• Like (+1) 2