•  
Advertise here

Power Steering Oil

Hi 

I went to buy Power steering oil for my Pajero but they handed me AC Delco ATF Oil, I was confused and asked it ATF is ok for Steering oil and shop owner said yes, i visited multiple shops but same response.  

Is ATF and Power Streeing Oil is same for Pajero ??  

s-l300.jpg

Yes it's same, but better buy the Mitsubishi ATF than AC Delco it's just a brand compromise I wouldn't advise if you love your Pajero. Of course cost will be double or triple, but you top-up or change ATF once in 3 years, so big deal....!

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

The Mitsubishi oil will be the same oil as AC Delco, just more expensive because it's dealer branded. Automatic transmission oil is standardized, so anything marked Dexron 3 will work. 

Neither you nor me knows 100% what actually goes inside AC Delco or Mitsu ATF, so why take chance for 50 dhs.

Like API certification, is just a baseline standard that every oil producer supposed to meet and that's why crappy brand of engine oil fails before 5k KMS and turn jet black, as oppose to good brands. You know what I am referring to "higher standards" and quality of additives or chemicals used to produce them.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

ATF oil isn't like ordinary oil. In fact it technically isn't even oil. It is a very specific blend of chemicals and to obtain the Dexron 3 specification, it has to be an exact blend. You can't add a little bit of this or a little bit of that or it will not meet Dexron 3 specifications any more. Yes it might work but you can't label it as Dexron 3. Therefore, all ATF D3 is the same and you're just paying a premium for the name on the bottle. 

I'm not getting involved in this thread, except to say that there is no such thing as a standardized ATF, no matter whether its Dexron 3 or not. 

My 2 cents 

You can experiment with engine oil even blend your own mix but transmission oil especially the automatic there are standards there's and many I have seen auto fluid for range rover which was transparent and for 140 per liter and mercs c240 its was like 85 per liter and the then there's the t4 ,WS,jmatics ,dmatics ,ns2,the Dex brothers like 1 2 3 and 4 the BMW have even invented a lifetime transmission oil but that too has to be changed at the agency as that oil is not available outside...

so if you toped up a little. I think it should be OK but if you drain and fill the wrong type of oil it should work at  beginning but the clutches will  deteriorate sooner then their expected running life then there is one more thing your gear bearings will survive as they only need lubrication from those oils nothing more :-D 

the manufacturers have also started to make such trannys that dont have fill plugs and level gauges and some might have but make it difficult to get to so people won't tinker with it...