•  
Advertise here

Cheap sand tyres!

Hello once again,

So recently i have been looking into sand tires or the huge walled tires you usually see on every 3rd suv owned by a UAE local.(picture below)

And damn they are expensive at about 550 dirhams for a new and I have no knowledge on used (last I heard was about 250, I could be wrong).

So i went dabbling around the internet and I found stuff on this link. https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/sand-tyre-uae.html . Wow supercheap tIres!

Then i think they only sell those to shops. But to clarify my mind, I thought it would be interesting to get the opinions of the carnity pros ;)!!!

Go wild guys! Thanks!

Also tell me what would you all say to using these tires second hand!

Thanks!

900.jpg

What you are referring to must be Siam 900 tires aka ballon tires. They are awesome in sand and insanely dangerous on road and high speed and worst on wet surface. Unless your house is next door to desert and you only used them for sand, I wouldn't advise that. Last I heard in 3-4 years back, that they have been discontinued.

For cheap and good offroad tires with good safety aspect you can choose Yokohama Geolander ATS (450), Nitto dura grappler (400), Cooper Discoverer ATR (400).

Used tires are also good option, if you know how to check and buy them. I have tried once Michelin LTX, as original was 750 each tire and I want to know how will they perform in sand before I bite 3000 dhs bullet, so I tested the used one for 3-4 drives and once 100% satisfied I bought the new ones. Buying new ones were even better and super smooth on road.

For used tires in offroad, you cannot use it for long time. They will be only good for a month or few and then you will have endless pop-outs on every drive. I have seen one guy who used to live on 100 dhs used tire only and used to suffer a lot. Newer tire for offroad will give you better economy in a long run for lets say 3-4 years, so it's always worth to invest on new tires once you are convinced with your choice.

• Like (+1) 4

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Also you can check Sumitomo Shaheen Sand tires, that are similar to Siam 900 but an inch safer on road if you are really hung up on trying the full time sand tires.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Shaheen Sand Tyres, without a doubt, the best tyres I've used for sand. Also very safe as they are steel belted radials unlike the 900s, which also don't develop flat spots when parked overnight and need to be warmed up for a while. Also very very smooth on road and not at as dangerous people make them out to be during the two days it rains here. Only ever set of tyres I bought new, twice. One for my Land Cruiser which served double duty on safaris everyday and my Discovery which did some weekend warrior-ing but mostly used as a daily driver. Also they are manufactured in Japan at the same plant that makes Dunlops so you know they are reliable unlike 900s mostly made in Thailand. Also the only tyre Ive seen with a temperature rating of AA. When I last got them they were 320 a piece. You can buy directly from the sole dealer in Rashidiya.

There are also Dunlop Grand Trek Sand Tyres. Don't confuse them with regular Grandtreks, which are shyte, These have a similar thread to The Shaheens and 900s. My Friend had them on his Jeep Craprokee and he liked them. Also rare as rocking horse shit, impossible to find since almost no one stocks them, we were only able to source a set of new ones in Madam. 

LTXs I won't mention as they are nearly 1000 a piece now. 

My Land Cruiser with the Shaheens and BuShanab wheels

LC1.jpg.a6f743392f6cbb0b0dad43d8ed52d68a.jpg

Stuck in Liwa by myself, Driving fully inflated on Shaheens

LC2.jpg.eaae92d5c37bca3fcca015821f4055d9.jpg

My Discovery also on Shaheens

LC3.jpg.e049fd264f7afc67484e13470a1bf4c0.jpg

My friends Craprokee on Sand Grand Treks

LC4.jpg.128ac866e1d52dc66f8c29a6f89ee341.jpg

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Shaheen Sand Tyres, without a doubt, the best tyres I've used for sand. Also very safe as they are steel belted radials unlike the 900s, which also don't develop flat spots when parked overnight and need to be warmed up for a while. Also very very smooth on road and not at as dangerous people make them out to be during the two days it rains here. Only ever set of tyres I bought new, twice. One for my Land Cruiser which served double duty on safaris everyday and my Discovery which did some weekend warrior-ing but mostly used as a daily driver. Also they are manufactured in Japan at the same plant that makes Dunlops so you know they are reliable unlike 900s mostly made in Thailand. Also the only tyre Ive seen with a temperature rating of AA. When I last got them they were 320 a piece. You can buy directly from the sole dealer in Rashidiya.

There are also Dunlop Grand Trek Sand Tyres. Don't confuse them with regular Grandtreks, which are shyte, These have a similar thread to The Shaheens and 900s. My Friend had them on his Jeep Craprokee and he liked them. Also rare as rocking horse shit, impossible to find since almost no one stocks them, we were only able to source a set of new ones in Madam. 

LTXs I won't mention as they are nearly 1000 a piece now. 

My Land Cruiser with the Shaheens and BuShanab wheels

IMAG0022.jpg

Stuck in Liwa by myself, Driving fully inflated on Shaheens

IMAG0018.jpg

My Discovery also on Shaheens

IMAGE_00122.jpg

My friends Craprokee on Sand Grand Treks

DSCF0384.jpg

Its me only who can't see this images ? or some one else as well 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks,

@desertdude 

wow Shaheeens look good, 320 a piece is pretty good. Clarifying, i have heard that 900s are bad on surfaces other than sand. But really I wouldn't drive recklessly on road  knowing how the tires are so i wouldn't worry about losing control. Second, looks , they look really good and give your suv personality. I believe any suv with undersized tires and wheels looks really bad and especially the lc 100 nothing makes it look good except the 900s. 

Still then Shahenn are the second 900s (i want those huge walls). How much for can i get a used one and what is the tire range also please provide me with the location? 

Appreciate it all.

I met one local guy and he owned a Nissan Patrol with the Siam 900 tires. I too was thinking about going for those but changed my mind as soon as I heard the horror story. Firstly they are very difficult to align as they do not have much surface area. They need warm up before you can drive and before warm up can shake you car like hell. They take even longer to warm up during the winter weather. It wears out within half the time of the normal tires. Advantage is good on sand and at 70 PSI you can do the 2 wheel balancing act.

I would not recommend these to anyone, I am with @Gaurav bhai's suggestion. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...