•  
Advertise here

Buying a USED Muscle car?

timmyjt

Hi all, 

My cousin, newbie driver is looking to buy one of those muscle cars - USED ...Dodge Charger...Challenger...Ford Mustang...Corvette...any other suggestions?

All ye experienced in this field of car buying...do let me know your thoughts...

I have absolutely no idea about these muscle cars ...cost of maintaining it...cost of ownership...which is the highest concern. 

All suggestions are open...which includes convincing me not to buy any of these cars too...

Just makes sure its a proper muscle cars with a V8. Rest its all relative, you dont buy a muscle for economics, reliability or any of those other "sane" reasons. You buy a muscle car for its character and attitude.

For example my personal choice would be a Camaro, specially if I could get an older 80s IROC Z. Stangs not really a fan and also becauseof the negative stigma attached with stang drivers. The new Dodges look bland to me with no character, maybe the hellcat but only because of the motor.

So throw all the sanity out of the window and go for the one he really likes. Hey you only live once and its only money ;)

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5.0 Ford Mustang V8 is the only real muscle among the pussy cat's. If budget above 100K go for 2014/15 model, if below anywhere in range of 2010 - 2013 model should be good enough. Don't buy car without service history, come what may. Period.

• Like (+1) 2

Now to your questions:

Buying a muscle car is an experience that I guess every car owner should experience once in its life, not only from the looks and performance perspective but from overall driver feel and responsiveness you get once you ride a real muscle car. Nothing comes close to its feel when riding something that is totally connected to your mind and heart.

There is a very good article written by carnity member in advise section that I would highly advise you and your cousin to read

For maintenance cost, if you get a good and clean car driven with normal human and not street pilot you almost spend nothing extra than the regular servicing. I have my Mustang since 2 years and 3 months and only got the regular service done from Al Tayer and haven't spend an extra dime yet.

The major thing you need to look for muscle car is very thorough check on accident history by doing comprehensive check and if possible through insurance or dealer check. I was about to buy another Mustang and luckily spotted in insurance that it was totalled six months back.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

12 hours ago, Driver Knight said:

How do you go about doing an insurance or dealer check or report to find out wheather car was involved in any major or minor accident or totalled.

Dealer check is easy, call the dealer and give the VIN number and be nice to ask 2 questions: Does vehicle have full service history? And is this vehicle ever involved in any accident? Remember anything you force or act strong is "Not allowed" sir, so be really nice and seeking help with humble tone.

Al tayer is very strange dealer here to not to tell the service history details to it's owner itself (I have been told this on my first service on SZR branch after buying), so you won't get any details just by VIN number anyways, but you will get an answer:  if car is "regularly" maintained or not.

Then call couple of good insurance and ask for quote with the VIN number, as now since few years insurance is centrally connected so any major accident or totalled history will flash in "most" of the good insurance company. If service agent refuse to offer insurance, then ask them the reason and they will disclose if car was total loss in the past or not.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Important Information

Terms of use