•  
Advertise here

Screenwash in engine oil

Barry

Friend told  me a similar story long long late 90s probably, his boss told his office boy to go check and fill his radiator. So he did, he came back and told him it was empty and he filled it to the top. The boss thanked him and continued to work.

At the end of the day just when he was about to get into his car, he thought he would have a look and he did. The rad wasnt full as the office boy told him. So just out of curiosity he opened the engine oil cap and low and behold it was filled with water till the brim. :)

Similarly I had a friend (who owned a car accessory shop in Shj) I was visiting him, and while walking towards him I saw him under the hood of his car, struggling with something with a pair of pliers, as I got close, he finally managed to pull out whatever he was fighting with under the hood. 

Upon closer inspection he had managed to rip out a battery terminal from his maintenance free AC delco battery ! I asked him why the hell did you do that for!!!

He said he was having issues with starting his car and someone had told him to inspect and top up water in the battery if it needed. And since these two terminals were the only things he could see, he thought these were the screw tops !!! :-/

I have a few more of these real life auto stupidity stories, which I can relate if people find them interesting   

• Haha (+1) 1

@desertdude So many stories, when I was an apprentice a young chap like myself was told to top up the gear box with oil by his mechanic. This he did, and then proudly announced to the mechanic the job was done. He then told his mechanic he had, refitted the gearbox selector mechanism, the selector housing and finally reconnected the gear lever assembly.  The mechanic's jaw hit the floor.....

You guessed it !! The young chap had stripped off the top of the gearbox to make sure it was full. And a nine speed Eaton box takes a lot of oil.

I know a guy who was working on a building site in Ireland. Not the smartest guy. The dumper was low on diesel so the foreman told him to go and fill it. After 30 minutes, he still hadn't come back so the foreman went to look for him. As he went around the corner, he saw the dumper coming down the road with diesel splashing over the sides of the skip. He literally filled the dumper with diesel. 

• Haha (+1) 2

na you wont have to go through all that much i had one brought in he actually filled it with water till the brim and started it after it was smoking steams this guy brought it to us and he was very concerned as it was not his car so i took it in and flushed it with diesel but it took a good amount of flushes after that it was fine 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused (0) 1
  • Sad (0) 1

@shadow79 it takes time to clean a dirty engine or cooling system/radiator. That is not none of my favorite jobs, reminds me of Groundhog Day!!

• Haha (+1) 1

Eek I hate doing cooling system flushes. It's simple but time consuming and customers know it's simple so they expect it to be cheap and argue when it's not but what they don't realize is that it can take you a full day of messing about between doing other jobs, filling it, bleeding it, running it up to temperature, draining it, scalding your wrists in the process and doing it all over again 5-6 times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Barry said:

Eek I hate doing cooling system flushes. It's simple but time consuming and customers know it's simple so they expect it to be cheap and argue when it's not but what they don't realize is that it can take you a full day of messing about between doing other jobs, filling it, bleeding it, running it up to temperature, draining it, scalding your wrists in the process and doing it all over again 5-6 times.

@Barry, I have just recently seen @shadow79 get down and dirty with cleaning the lines on my R50's AC lines to make sure the new (used) compressor will not face the fate that his Rav4 went through and I can totally understand. I hope Saleem Bhai considers me to be one of his better customers.

• Like (+1) 2

@Rahimdad, Its not often to hear praise for us mechanics who have learnt our trade. I hope I speak for my fellow tradesmen in saying "Many thanks." @Rahimdad and also to @shadow79 for his diligence and professionalism. 

• Like (+1) 1