•  
Advertise here

Off road mass stop?

umarcrespo333

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

You need one to get there and back

Friend.

55 minutes ago, Barry said:

@desertdude Not necessarily, you just need a driver to get there and back. 

Im all for people learning to drive before they get their license. I did it and I'm all the better for it. The whole education system of teaching people to drive on the road from scratch isn't good. Far better to learn off road than start mingling with traffic when you're still capable of mixing up the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals. 

Nailed it. 

51 minutes ago, desertdude said:

This isn't the UK. You can get into some real serious shit if you do and recently whoever lends his car to an unlicensed driver too. I can't believe you would condone something like this over here in a public forum.

Hush Hush :P

Wow, what a heated debate. Don't know about Awafi, |I thought that was for drifting, if you want action close to the road, either Big Red in Bidayer area on the way to Hatta, you can even rent quad bikes there. Or Faya, on the way from Sharjah to Maliha/Kalba, you can rent quad bikes there as well.

All the very best, hope to see you soon on our drives.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, desertdude said:

Why would a shop deflate air for you!!!!!

I once went on desert safari and there was a station where they would deflate and reinflate the tires. What I mean is that is there a place from where i can get the pressures lowered and filled up again. Also how would the normal shyte grandtreks behave on sand with less pressure?

Just now, umarcrespo333 said:

I once went on desert safari and there was a station where they would deflate and reinflate the tires. What I mean is that is there a place from where i can get the pressures lowered and filled up again. Also how would the normal shyte grandtreks behave on sand with less pressure?

I had meant to get the portable compressor by today but it just got facked up, and they didn't deliver it today so I will have to look for someplace else for the air lowering and filling.

40 minutes ago, desertdude said:

You can deflate your tyres at home also, why would you need to go any shop? And yes the shops there have compressors. 

@desertdude @Gaurav @derek @BarryBut my home is long way to bidayer, I hope the car wont rollover on the way with the less pressures. How much pressure do you recommend for making the crap grand treks work in the sand. Also would you use the yellow hose with the gauge on it(the yellow hose on modular compressors) to deflate the tires. 

Go to a shop, buy a valve tool and a tyre pressure gauge. 20-30 dhs. Watch some videos on YouTube to show you how to remove the valve and deflate and stick it back in again before the wheel goes flat. If your budget will stretch to it, buy a tyre inflator/compressor thing. If you can't afford a tyre inflator, buy a double barrel foot pump but be prepared to sweat. Driving on the road with deflated tyres will wreck the sidewall. Big bulges will come on the side of your tyre and it could blow out and throw you off the road.

Off road, you want around 15 psi in your tyres, maybe more maybe less but try 15 first time and see how it goes. Too high pressure and your wheels will spin, too low and your tires might pop off the rim. Pop off is a pain in the ass, especially if you have no spare, no tools, no experience and are alone. I use the petrol method to seat beads but it you don't know what you're doing, you'll end up with a burnt out car in the desert and a long walk home.

I still recommend going on one of the Carnity desert drives on a Friday for your first time. Go in with an open mind, be willing to learn and don't be cocky and you will pick the basics up quickly. I am into drifting and rally driving and I learned in no time at all because I accepted the fact I was a novice in the desert and didn't know anything but was willing to listen. @Gaurav and at @Rahimdad are pros at desert driving. They have many years below their belt doing this and didn't get to being marshals without reason so these are the guys to stick to. If you like chicken, @shadow79 will be your friend.

Please bear in mind, I am not an off road expert. I am just trying to steer you in the right direction. If you head out into the desert alone with no experience, you'll end up walking to find a signal on your phone or hoping some hospitable local will come along and rescue you. 

• Like (+1) 3

Very well put by Barry. Thanks for all clearing up the doubts when we were busy off-roading yesterday.

Grandtrek are usually just OK, but they turn VERY BAD if they cross half life on their treads. If your Grandtreks are too bald with gone tread, then I would highly advise not to venture in sand as you will guaranteed to have pop-out. In my decade of offroad experience, I had 90% pop-outs on my Land Cruiser with beaten up Grandtrek.

Going alone in desert with no previous experience is a suicidal mission. Desert safari "train track" is a different world and FAR from actual desert driving experience. Read below advises and it will help you clear your doubts more and dont forget to thank the author and like their content.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.