•  
Advertise here

Sign of a broken axle?

So, my friend was pulling a burnout in his cruiser, and only one wheel was spinning, EMBARASSING!

He believes his axle is broken while I believe worn out axle clutches cuz it has an LSD right!

Help!

If it has LSD and only one wheel is spinning, then there is a problem with the differential. You may get away with adjusting it. You won't know until you open it and check. Maybe it was never adjusted to start with. Too many mechanics here just stick parts in and have no understanding of what they're doing. Ask them if the backlash and pinion height are correct and they'll ask what's backlash?

• Like (+1) 1

If there's a problem with the diff, it won't be possible to lock the back wheels. If the wheels spin with the diff locked but don't spin without, then you don't have LSD. 

Jack the back of the car up. Spin one wheel. If the other wheel spins the same direction then you have LSD. If it spins the opposite direction the you don't have LSD. 

LSD and lockable diffs are 2 completely different things. 

• Like (+1) 1

You would think it's simple. My last job was foreman in a garage. I tried to train them in simple things like using a torque wrench to put on a head. Ok ok boss, then it was put on covered in shellac using an airgun. Putting in a diff was another ball game. No need to measure boss, it's in, all the bolts are tight. The wheels turn. It's ok.

I didn't go to school to learn what I know. I taught myself everything. So there's no excuse for not knowing what you're doing. Anyone can learn it. You just have to put a bit of effort in. Most of these guys aren't prepared to put the effort in though. They think they know everything and this is the problem. 

@Barry I have that T-shirt. For my sins I took a job in Southern China in 1993. Teaching the up and coming mechanics how to repair luxury cars.

That was painful... 

However the pain was nothing after watching the older mechanics destroying aluminium blocks when the thread pulled out. Simple they said, drill it and re-tap a new thread.... Yes. Did it work, No... 

• Sad (0) 1

If you had a broken axel the car wouldn't be moving at all. As the power takes the path of least resistance and all power in 2wd mode would be going to the broken axel and you would  be going no where. 

If the car is doing the classic one wheel peel then the LSD clutches have gone pear shaped and need to be replaced and the diff need to be refilled with LSD diff oil  

image.png.bbea0ed2090d104568a87ddf130a0825.png

Edited by desertdude
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Barry said:

If there's a problem with the diff, it won't be possible to lock the back wheels. If the wheels spin with the diff locked but don't spin without, then you don't have LSD. 

Jack the back of the car up. Spin one wheel. If the other wheel spins the same direction then you have LSD. If it spins the opposite direction the you don't have LSD. 

LSD and lockable diffs are 2 completely different things. 

Land cruiser (2000-present) has an lsd. The hub locks the front and the rear wheels. 

1 hour ago, desertdude said:

If you had a broken axel the car wouldn't be moving at all. As the power takes the path of least resistance and all power in 2wd mode would be going to the broken axel and you would  be going no where. 

If the car is doing the classic one wheel peel then the LSD clutches have gone pear shaped and need to be replaced and the diff need to be refilled with LSD diff oil  

image.png.bbea0ed2090d104568a87ddf130a0825.png

I might have to replace the clutches, you are right bro. Also, is the lc part time RWD? 

I can replace the clutch myself but my father doesn't trust me! Where can I buy the clutches or maybe one step up tell me where can i get performance ones. Also, cost?