•  
Advertise here

Pajero AC Cooling issues and is it time to replace?

Hope you can spare some time to answer this.  

I own a 2008 LWB 3.8 Pajero and current kms is 123000. I have two cars, so the Pajero is my backup and also I tend to use it longer drives and especially ones where I need ferry 5 or 6 people of my family. I dont think there is any issue with it other than the AC fan belt and unit, which I replaced with al habtoor itself. 

Now my issue with Pajero is it doesnt cool the car enough and definitely not as fast I want it to in this heat. I actually avoid taking the Pajero in the morning as I have experienced feeling so hot and the AC not cooling fast enough and being leather seats, I just burn and I also noticed that even when I leave the car on, but parked, the AC cooling decreases A LOT. In the evening, the AC is EXCELLENT actually. 

The Pajero also drives like a truck, but then it is one of the most reliable cars I have driven.

Being in this part of the world, the AC cooling Is paramount and given the age of the car..running 8 years now, I have started thinking of changing the car to another SUV and the discounts and offers these days are just too good. 

What would be your honest opinion? Would it fine to keep the car for a few more years problem free or should i change to another SUV with a 5 year contract. I have no issues with either decision actually. I only detest the heat. ;-)

THANKS

Pajero is known for this just enough cooling in hot month, you will get used to it from second year onward. Just keep driving and you will be fine, don't stop in heat.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks ruben, what is 15 and 17 and how to find out which number I have in my Pajero?

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I am not an ac expert, I only learned about ac when I came to uae 2 years ago. Cars in my country don't have and don't need it. 

Surely a bigger and colder condenser would have more benefit than a bigger compressor?

Sure Barry but high output compression gives better cooling at idle and we usually change the compressors of with those vario valve's as they are notorious for  failing

• 9 months later...

Today I was sitting in the car park with the AC on. As the AC was not cooling enough (its more effective when the car is moving), I raised pressed the accelerator to increase rpm to 2000 just to get some more cooling. However what happened was that the compressor went off. I restarted the car but the AC compressor doesnt come on. When I press the AC switch the blower works but the compressor does not come on and the cooling is zero.

My Paj is 3 years old and this is the second time this has happened (exactly same situation. On high revs AC went off). The last time it happened the dealership said they replaced the AC compressor under warranty. But now after a year it has happened again. 

Any ideas on what could be the issue?