•  
Advertise here

Good place to rebuild a T56?

Byron

Any places in Dubai qualified and do good work on manual gear boxes?

I'm doing my clutch in a week or two and I want them to have a look at and freshen up the gear box. 

-Byron

Are you having issues with the gearbox at present?

if not, maybe it's better to leave it alone. If it's not broken, don't fix it. 

If you need a contact for a transmission builder I can supply but first ask yourself if you need it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have just shy of 200k kms on the current gear box.

New bearings and seals, key ways and blockers may not be a bad idea at this point to continue the longevity of the drive train.

Plus I'm almost convinced my input shaft bearing needs to be changed.

Is this something that cannot be accomplished safely in Dubai?  I would't be surprised given the lack of overall knowledge I see displayed at many of the "Tuning" shops.  Its why I don't trust anyone with the tuning of my car here.

Then again, sometimes I have also been shocked to find quality service.  I try to keep an open mind until I see for myself.

-Byron

On 9/2/2017 at 8:27 PM, Byron said:

I have just shy of 200k kms on the current gear box.

New bearings and seals, key ways and blockers may not be a bad idea at this point to continue the longevity of the drive train.

Plus I'm almost convinced my input shaft bearing needs to be changed.

Is this something that cannot be accomplished safely in Dubai?  I would't be surprised given the lack of overall knowledge I see displayed at many of the "Tuning" shops.  Its why I don't trust anyone with the tuning of my car here.

Then again, sometimes I have also been shocked to find quality service.  I try to keep an open mind until I see for myself.

-Byron

In my experience it's never a good idea to only replace some parts, and especially bearings. If as @Barry says, it ain't broke, don't replace anything unless you replace everything, and even then there is no guarantee that the gearbox won't be noisy. 

It already is noisy. I guess in December I'll have everything in hand and just do it myself. 

Either way I'm ordering a stage 2 rebuild kit. 

After talking to many places here that either want too much money, or have zero experience and want too much money I'll just get off my duff and get'er done myself. 

It's not rocket science, a T56 is probably one of the easiest transmissions to rebuild. 

Only downside side to doing it that way is having to plan around future mods, as I was optimistic about doing it while my car already had the trans out. 

It's not a terrible thing to drop out later. Maybe 2 hrs tops. It's dead simple. 

-Byron

Doing it yourself is probably the best way to go, and since it is noisy already, you may as well go the whole hog and replace everything that can be replaced.

Ultimately I'm going to be throwing an LSA on it, it's why I'm building to take 500-600. 

I can source a tr6060 with adapter, but then I'm off in fabrication land. Exactly where I don't want to be. 

Looking around at RPM transmissions I can order everything when I'm back stateside this Dec and just drag it in my suitcase and get er done. Wonder how the wife will take having a transmission in the living room lol. 

Just need enough cold beverages and my shop manual. 

-Byron

That's not a bad idea........it's in Kazakhstan so should take her a good long while to go visit and come back. 😁

I like your thinking. 

-Byron

Edited by Byron