•  

Al Faqa white sand dunes drive - 8 Sep 2017

Gaurav

With enough experience in this desert community, it's the right time to call for Al Faqa white sand dunes drive. Although it's not very tricky or difficult area, but due to its white sand in most of the area it does get little tricky to read at times.

This area offers varied terrain for all types of adventure seeker from tall - medium - small (techy) dunes with enough area to play :-)  

When: 8 September 2017
Meeting time: 2:30 PM, convoy will move at 2:45 PM
Where: First Emarat Petrol Station after outlet mall on Dubai - Al Ain road

GPS Coordinate: https://goo.gl/maps/7pRg8Lb1N3s

Level of drive: Fewbie - Expert - Advance - (absolute newbie and newbie as passengers only)
Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 10 inches of ground clearance
Plan: Afternoon drive from Al Faqa to Al Faqa Camel Rock to Faya and further if time permits lol
What to bring along: Evening snacks - whatever you like with little extra to share, water, liquids, smiles, stories, and enthusiasm.

Approximate finish time: 7 PM - 8 PM

Faqa.JPG

RSVP on below calendar

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I am most definitely in. Looking forward to it. Just a question..how do you manage Al Faqa to Camel Rock without hitting the tarmac? :-D

Regards

Srikumar

Edited by skumar83
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, skumar83 said:

I am most definitely in. Looking forward to it. Just a question..how do you manage Al Faqa to Camel Rock without hitting the tarmac? :-D

Regards

Srikumar

It's pretty far but you can: Al Faqa - Madam - Maleiha - Camel rock (approx 80-100 km off-road), we can try such crossing's in the whole day off-road drive when the weather gets better.

Thanks for signing up @Asif Hussain Bhai, good to have back.

I'm in but not to Camel Rock or Faya. You will have to drive all the way up to Lisali, take the underpass for the flying club, head to Tawi Nizwa, cross the road to Pink Rocks and continue to Big Fall. Since there is a barrier now you need to take the round about and you are through to Camel Rock and Faya. Sounds like a full day off road event.

After a very long time, we had some serious drive in an excellent terrain, after all, it's Al Faqa which is famous for its white sands and continuous medium size dunes. We started a little bit late, and straight away head to the deflation point where Asif Bhai and family joined us. After the quick brief and convoy numbering, we headed into the easy bit of Al faqa dunes to get everyone into the motion. As we were heading from waypoint 2 to 3 a bit more challenging terrain, we experience some heavy sandstorm in the evening due to which our convoy move slowed down a little bit.

After the sand storm settled down we head to waypoint 3 which has good rolling dunes to play. We all had enough attempts of massive sideys, broad ridge riding and ridge cutting that after 30 mins of this extensive play everyone had a big smile on their faces. It was one of the best drives to open the off-road season, and as the weather gets better we should try a bit longer drive in this area. Asif Bhai managed his LWB pickup very well in this area. Sri and sister also did extremely well with their manual Cherokee on which they are still mastering the gear usage. In the end, our Superman with fully loaded pathy protected everyone to be on track and did recover a couple of times. Overall, small and super tight drivers made this whole drive an amazing experience to remember. Thanks everyone for driving and keeping the momentum at its best in such terrain.

Just before we could head to waypoint 4 one of the car pop-out resulted in a leaking valve or badly seated valve losing the air from the stem. Due to this scenario, we head towards safe exit through the track and hit the road and change the tire to spare wheel for the road driving. As drive was so good, that we literally had no time for snacks break, that we need to enjoy our snacks at the inflation point after exiting. Thanks, Meshu for chicken samosa's, Asif Bhai for muffins and his trademark tea and Rahim Bhai for the pringles and drinks. Best 4 hours spent in the desert.

IMG_5565.PNG

IMG_5571.PNG

IMG_5572.PNG

• Like (+1) 3

What can I say. We met, we headed to the start point, we deflated and we totally conquered Faqa. It was all ours and we loved it to bits. There was awesome side sloping, ridge riding, ridge cutting, steep climbs, sharp decends, soft sand patches mixed with some very challenging terrain. Out advantage was having 4 cars with enough experience and sense of adventure to fly through some of the best we've done so far.

Thanks to @Gaurav bhai for posting and leading such an excellent drive, plus some awesome sandwiches. Thanks to Asif bhai for showing some amazing skills to keep the convoy alive, the tea, the spicy peanuts and so much more. Thanks to Srikumar for a flawless performance with his newly acquired XJ.

Did I forget to mention the sand storm. Oops. We were caught in one right in the middle of the drive, but everyone did exceptionally well to ride the storm out. We would have normally stopped somewhere nice to sit and enjoy our snacks and drinks, thanks to the sand storm we kept going and only got to food and drinks at the very end. Kudos to a team which makes me very proud. Thanks Carnity for bringing us together and giving us such a great opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

Totally agree with Rahim Bhai, that during the sand storm I was about to stop. Thinking it's not quite practical to drive with low visibility but I waited for one stuck to raise a flag and that didn't happen because everyone drove just too well.

Mine and Rahim Bhai pics uploaded, waiting to see other's pic

https://carnity.com/gallery/category/41-al-faqa-white-sands-8-sep-2017/

Important Information

Terms of use