•  
Advertise here

How to restore power to factory specs.

umarcrespo333

Hello,

I wanna discuss brute force. Not increasing, but restoring. I have browsed around the internet and had a hard time finding the right stuff. So, I am making this thread only to make it easier for people to know what they want. 

So, a lot of time while getting a used car, you get this feeling including me, that the car is not making the same power as the factory papers boast. Some dyno results will prove that there are lots of horses escaped through the lifespan of the car. Question is, no capital or time spared, how do you get them back?

I want to bring this to the carnity pros' attention to go ham on this one and i am adding my suggestion as well.

1. Replace or fix everything under the hood and the fenders. :D (if like me you treasure your car)

2.Buy a new car.

Feel free to add your comments.

Not really to answer you, but to help other curious guys my advice is above video things are must for any used car buyer. Then if you still suspect that engine power is not almost restored then go for old fashion compression test and find out if any or all cylinders reading are under 100 PSI then you have to attend those issues - leaking valves/gasket / piston rings etc. Reading a compression test result is very simple and very effective in debugging the real cause of loss of power. Much better than listening to greedy workshops.

The only thing I would advise more in above video is to switch to platinum spark plug than normal ones as they fire much better and last almost forever to recover their expensive price tag. I have done that in my Pajero 6 years back and never changed them again.

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

There are many other factors too, other than just compression. You could have a stretched timing chains and/or worn sprockets. Worn cam lobes. All messing with the timing and making it lose power. 

But I agree with the spark plug bit. I hat the bosch four prong titaniums in my 2000 manual LC and it went places others struggled and who ever drove it would always ask me if I have done any mods like headers or exhaust on the cruiser

• Like (+1) 1

On 07/09/2017 at 9:11 PM, desertdude said:

There are many other factors too, other than just compression. You could have a stretched timing chains and/or worn sprockets. Worn cam lobes. All messing with the timing and making it lose power. 

But I agree with the spark plug bit. I hat the bosch four prong titaniums in my 2000 manual LC and it went places others struggled and who ever drove it would always ask me if I have done any mods like headers or exhaust on the cruiser

Hehe, just by spark plugs? :D nice.