•  
Advertise here

Reverse won't engage

JamesP81

Hi all,

So i have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport, it's been very well looked after by the previous owner. Since yesterday, out of the blue the reverse gear won't engage.

It still drives perfectly in D, 1 and 2, it also drives fine in 4H and 4L (although 4L does pop out sometimes)

I've checked the transmission fluid and its nice and red, i've checked the linkage under the shifter and under the transmission and all seems to be fine, i've disconnected the battery to reset the electronics but no luck. The shifter will go into R without any problems but the gear just won't engage...any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

does sound like a transmission problem... just dont panic about the costs! tried turning on/off and battery disconnect to see if its something with the ecu? could be a console problem 2 or hardware

@Barry @shadow79 !?

thanks for the reply, i've already tried that and it didn't work... It doesn't feel like it's something "mechanical", as in there is no grinding or weird noises, the shifter slides into R as usual but the gear just doesn't engage! Is there a solanoid or something that triggers the gear engagement?

Any recommendations for a good place i can take it to? a long time ago there was a place in al quoz called ROBBIES but it's not there anymore

Its a 4 model its has a electronic valve body and its working fine as you say the forward shifting is fine then your clutch's for reverse have gone bad...guess you have to get another or get this one overhauled...

• Sad (0) 1