•  
Advertise here

No more excuses for incompetent garages

Barry

To my mind, there is very little point in making the software available to millions of mechanics who have no idea how the basics on most cars work. Take the USA for instance- in that country, there are no standardized training modules available, so if someone wants to be mechanic there, the best that person can hope for is to be taught what the mechanics in the shop know, which in my experience is often woefully inadequate. 

The only standardized thing is the written multi-choice exams, with no practical testing of a candidate's knowledge/skills/insights involved. There are other countries where the training of mechanics is even more inadequate, so I can't see the advantages of making dealer-grade software available to mechanics who are more skilled at rolling in their own dung than they are at diagnosing everyday problems.

And don't get me started on mechanics who don't know what the the CAN bus system is, what it does, and why it is so difficult to find issues in the system, even with dealer grade software/equipment.

6 hours ago, Barry said:

What's a canbus? I have this car in today and I can't find the obd plug anywhere 

😜

IMG_1695.JPG

You are joking, right? :-D

@Barry look under the seats or remove the front bumper it must be somewhere there...:-D

@treks there are many american standard of automotive certification and one of it is  ASE you have to take tests and practicals and rise through the ranks

don't let me start on technicians at the dealerships just take note that they too are humans

regarding other countries not having automotive technicians is something new I have heard of.if you ask a tyre technician to fix your radio or find a short in your vehicle then you are bound to get surprised and I am sure its not his mistake...